944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sell the car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009 | 11:33 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

So John is moving to http://www.c6corvetteforum.com/.
Old 10-09-2009 | 11:52 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Heh I bought my car with a completely fresh powertrain. Bottom end, head, new trans, all done by a very reputable shop. I paid a little more than I wanted to at the time, but figured, "Hey this one is DONE. It will be relatively problem free!"

And really, it has been. There's been a few small problems here and there but nothing too major. I've probably put about $2k into it since June, just updating little things. Mostly maintenance items, and a few things that were in a failed effort to correct some small problems (cold hesitation, hard warm start.) Stuff that really, I could've lived with... but at the same time, I don't mind tinkering. It's not my main car, and going out to the garage for a few hours is enjoyable to me. I don't have a lot of free time (I have a pretty demanding career, a wife with a pretty demanding career, and a 5 y/o) so I work on it when I can, and hte car can sometimes sit for a few weeks apart while I wait for time to work on it again.

If you don't need to depend on the car, and don't mind working on it - keep it. Fix it when you can.
If you don't like working on it yourself - sell it. I think this car will eat you alive if you pay someone to maintain it.
If you like working on it, but don't have time, and think it's going to sit for a year where you'll then lose interest and try to sell it eventually - then sell it now. It'll be worth a lot less if you sell it in a shape where it hasn't been run in awhile.

I guess it comes down to you and what you know about yourself. These cars require a bit of passion and dedication to keep running, and are definitely a "labor of love".
Old 10-09-2009 | 12:10 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
That is because he is speaking Chevette now..not Porsche... Diesel Chevette at that...

So strange to spend 7 grand and make double the power output your used too

If we are comparing war stories, I had 53ish in my 944. These are not cheep cars if you are interested in making it like new condition. They are wonderful fun to own and drive however, if you don't do your own work you need deep pockets, 75% of the cars on the list aren't properly maintained. The other 25% that are, are that way because the owners do most of their own work.
Old 10-09-2009 | 12:41 PM
400hp944
Rennlist Member

Just bring the car over to my house and leave the title in the glove box - I will take it from there.

Seriously - you are having a ground issue. Replace the ground cables and be sure to clean where they bolt to the motor. It's a major pain to get to but it's worth it. Also, I had to add a ground from the battery to the body of the car to complete my fix. No more problems since. Cost $15 for the cable!

Again, if you don't have the time for this - my first offer is still open...
Old 10-09-2009 | 03:43 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

As everyone has stated, this is a 20+ year old high performace german vehicle. That says a lot for what is to be expected.

So, money wise if you need the cash from the sale of the car, then sell it. If you don't and it is not your DD just park it and work on it as you get more time or money in the future and you will be well rewarded.
Old 10-09-2009 | 09:29 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 400hp944

Again, if you don't have the time for this - my first offer is still open...
Okay, in the spirit of rennlebay, I offer what he did plus 10% more, lol.
Old 10-09-2009 | 11:49 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Have had mine for 2 years... and am much closer to 15K on fix ups, go fast parts and tires and wheels. If I could hug my car I would!
Old 10-10-2009 | 12:49 AM
fourside
Instructor

Thanks guys. I'll probably end up keeping it to be honest, as long as I can get some of these things mentioned worked out without too many roadblocks. If it's finally enjoyable I doubt I'd have the heart to sell it then.
Old 10-10-2009 | 07:48 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Joe. Others have posted great advice, well except for Lart the Destroyer If I can offer my advice I would say find someone really good with electrical issues and familiar with the 944. The battery/ground/alternator cables are the first thing I would replace as I've said before. They are cheap and work wonders in solving many of the problems these cars have. Something is shorted on an un-fused circuit but someone with good troubleshooting skills can find it. The AC sounds like a relay or fuse issue as it stopped all at once. If operating voltage gets low it puts a serious strain on every electrical component. If you are still getting poor charging with a new alternator and battery there is something shorted. You have a strong running car that looks good inside and out that only needs those electrical issues taken care of for immediate 951 satisfaction. The other smaller stuff like the exhaust leak at the WG will fall into place and not break the bank.

These are the classic example of an enthusiast car; having to pay someone else to work on them and maintain them all the time will kill you with the death of many cuts. Hopefully you decide to keep the car but you have to do what's best for you.
Old 10-10-2009 | 08:48 PM
Monte951
Advanced

I second that. And i'll be back to post my sight unseen purchase of an 88 turbo that had an odometer swap unbeknownst to me... and the ungodly amounts of money i am still dropping to get her right at last...
Old 10-13-2009 | 11:37 PM
fourside
Instructor

Grounding cables seemed to fix the battery problem! Thanks!

Last edited by fourside; 11-15-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2009 | 11:53 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

From: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Hmmmmm don't know what kinda cars all you drive I have spent outside of regular maintenance/upgrades about 500 bucks on mine since 2003. I drive mine every day and also track it this car is vary modded also. just an F.Y.I

So to the OP just work out the bugs take care of it baby it when the money is thin and you will be fine.

Quick Reply: Sell the car?