Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need some help on pressurizing system

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need some help on pressurizing system

Ok, I'm pressurizing my turbo system to find air leaks. Problem is I hear air leaking out in 2 or 3 places but I'm inconclusive on where they are coming from and if there suppose to be leaking from their locations.

The first leak I've tracked down to the general vicinity of top of turbo and bottom of oil tube (the tube you pour oil in).

The second place seems to be coming from below the cycling valve to the left near the block. When I use a tube the sound picks up in this location but not enough to pinpoint the location. Could air rushing through make a sound like a leak?

The third seems to be coming between and under runners 2 and 4 near or from the idle valve - but I can't be sure.

I have no idea what the best way to go about pinpointing these. One thought I'm having is pinching off some tubes off the j boot to see if the leaking sound quiets down.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:35 PM
travisgreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
Ok, I'm pressurizing my turbo system to find air leaks. Problem is I hear air leaking out in 2 or 3 places but I'm inconclusive on where they are coming from and if there suppose to be leaking from their locations. The first leak I've tracked down to the general vicinity of top of turbo and bottom of oil tube (the tube you pour oil in). The second place seems to be coming from below the cycling valve to the left near the block. When I use a tube the sound picks up in this location but not enough to pinpoint the location. Could air rushing through make a sound like a leak? The third seems to be coming between and under runners 2 and 4 near or from the idle valve - but I can't be sure. I have no idea what the best way to go about pinpointing these. One thought I'm having is pinching off some tubes off the j boot to see if the leaking sound quiets down. Any thoughts?

I normally plug the aos when doing and fix all the leaks first then test the aos. Sometimes air flowing thru can throw off your ear. Just unplug it from the j boot or whatever u have on your setup, and plug it
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Common leak is around the connector on the Idle Valve. I used some JB Weld to seal it around the connector.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:55 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little soapy water in a spray bottle works wonders
Old 01-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Yeah I watched that vid prior to doing my pressure test and made the same plug and fitting as he did.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Some pro shops use a smoke machine... That helps you see a leak.

But it sounds like some of your "usual suspects" could be problematic.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:22 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Ok it seems that there is air coming from a black objects base mounted to the engine block behind the cycling valve if your standing on the passengers side. What is this.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:25 AM
travisgreen
Pro

Ok it seems that there is air coming from a black objects base mounted to the engine block behind the cycling valve if your standing on the passengers side. What is this.
The aos? The only black thing I can think of that's back there is where the big hose goes on, Does it have a large hose connected to the top?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:29 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

I can't tell. I can't hardly see it at all just. I just know I put the tube to the base of it and I hear air coming out. I spray soapy water there and I see bubbles form.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:30 AM
travisgreen
Pro

I can't tell. I can't hardly see it at all just. I just know I put the tube to the base of it and I hear air coming out. I spray soapy water there and I see bubbles form.
Not sure I can he off that info. Need some more info on that. Or did you try disconnecting the aos tube at the j tube and plugging it?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:53 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

No not yet. All I can see is that behind the cycling valve, on top of the block, there is something that is black. It's covered in grime so that doesn't make it any easier. When I squirt oil in this area I get bubbles. Now from what I can read on the web is that the AOS must somehow month to the side of the block. Is there anything other tube that mounts to the block near the AOS that would have a seal that could leak?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:54 AM
travisgreen
Pro

No not yet. All I can see is that behind the cycling valve, on top of the block, there is something that is black. It's covered in grime so that doesn't make it any easier. When I squirt oil in this area I get bubbles. Now from what I can read on the web is that the AOS must somehow month to the side of the block. Is there anything other tube that mounts to the block near the AOS that would have a seal that could leak?
Tap on the black part of what's leaking gently, is it plastic ?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:08 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Yes it is. I think it's the AOS, and I think it's where the top seal goes int the block. But I don't have any oil leaks here, so if it's the seal why am I getting air coming from there?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:12 AM
travisgreen
Pro

Yes it is. I think it's the AOS, and I think it's where the top seal goes int the block. But I don't have any oil leaks here, so if it's the seal why am I getting air coming from there?
Either the o ring, or the hose that clamps to it. See if you can find the large rubber hose that goes into the top and make sure that's not leaking. Go from there
Old 01-04-2014, 01:13 AM
travisgreen
Pro

Oh ok I read that too fast, It looks like u may need a new o ring. Your gonna need to pull your intake manifold

Quick Reply: Need some help on pressurizing system