Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stock WG valve guide failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Stock WG valve guide failure

Had mine chunk apart and a piece stuck the valve open. Somewhat typical failure for factory waste gates or is this a possible symptom of excess EGTs?

Since the guide is ceramic, I am assuming no way to replace it (so valve body is junk).

Last edited by Oddjob; 09-24-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:22 AM
vette951s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Had mine chunk apart and a piece stuck the valve open. Somewhat typical failure for factory waste gates or is this a possible symptom of excess EGTs?

Since the guide is ceramic, I am assuming no way to replace it (so valve body is junk).
This same failure happened to a friend of mine at the track driving my old '89 Turbo S. It is stock with the exception of weltmeister chips and minor headwork. Car has 220K miles! As only the ceramic part that protruded below the cast metal of the wastegate housing chunked off, it was reassembled and it works fine.

John
Old 09-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by vette951s
This same failure happened to a friend of mine at the track driving my old '89 Turbo S. It is stock with the exception of weltmeister chips and minor headwork. Car has 220K miles! As only the ceramic part that protruded below the cast metal of the wastegate housing chunked off, it was reassembled and it works fine.

John
Thanks for the reply John.

This was on a Lindsey Clubgate, so who knows where the core came from or the mileage. I had a spare stock WG along, so installed that at the track. Have not torn down the "busted" one, so dont know the extent of the guide cracking.

Symptom was that at 4k rpm, zero boost, but would actually start building boost over 5k rpm and was at full boost at approx 6.5k. That gives a good indication of the WG valve actuation - should be fully closed at 3-4k rpm, and will be approx 1/4" open at redline (depending on boost level).

Quick Reply: Stock WG valve guide failure