Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I need a bunch of stuff... and help... says my mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Monte951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a bunch of stuff... and help... says my mechanic

Here’s the short story. Bought a solid 88 951 with 125k on it in march of 09. It had an exhaust leak on the manifold where a stud had broke off. Found out car had another 100k on it and that the jagovf I bought it from swapped the odometer. Decided to take car to my shop for a comprehensive maintenance and fix-all session. I had the head removed and sent it to Memphis Motorwerks for cleaning and machining. (highly recommended, they did great job!) Told my mechanic to replace the timing belt and waterpump and anything else that needed it as I did not trust the browneye that sold me the car who told me all that had been done.
Anyway, as my mechanic is poking about the car I get the news that there’s some other stuff needs replacing. I had bet on this but the task is a little daunting. I guess I need help with my shopping list and I would like to only use dealership priced parts as a last option.

I need to know if anyone knows the best place to get:

A new wiring harness? I need basically everything that comes out of the DME. I think it’s these 3:
944 607 029 00 - Wiring harness starter generator
951 612 001 10 - wiring harness engine compartment
951 607 021 03 - Wiring harness DME
I have seen the 2-3 separate wiring harnesses that make up the whole wiring harness, but I would rather buy the whole harness new with the connector that goes on the DME Unit. Anyone know where to find something like that, or do I just have to put them on the old connector? And where is the best place to buy?

Brand new head bolts and nuts, and brand new exhaust studs for the head? (Saw some performance ones for $300 bucks… for head bolts… I’d really like less expensive bolts)

The hose coming off the brake booster. Mine had a connector in the middle with a vacuum line running to it.

There’s a valve behind the cylinders with an electrical connection and 3 small hoses coming off of it. I’ll try to find a picture, but I need that thing and the hoses.

Everything else I’m pretty sure I’m good on but, as I have learned on here, 10,000 heads are better than one so heres the rest of the list.

Timing belt
Water pump w thermostat
Wide fire gasket set
Rollers and tentioners
Idle air hoses (venturi delete hoses)
Fuel injector seals
Motor mounts
Transmission mount
Front wheel bearings
Oil filter
Plugs/wires
Redline trans fluid.

That’s the list. Most of the stuff I’m getting on Lindsay or Paragon. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:46 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

There's a couple of them out there. Make sure you ask about them.
Lindsey Racing sells them, and I think Damiza318 has one for sale on ebay now for $95 dollars.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...Q5fAccessories

This harness is also on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-22-2009, 10:52 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

The cycling valve could be found at Pelican parts, or Lindsey Racing. I just replaced mine three days ago but not sure where I got it from since I bought it 9 months ago. The hoses for this valve you can get the silicone hose from lindsey.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't you get that car from Paul in Atlanta? How did you find out about the extra 100k and the odometer switch? I am pretty sure that is a federal offense - serious stuff!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Josh B
Didn't you get that car from Paul in Atlanta? How did you find out about the extra 100k and the odometer switch? I am pretty sure that is a federal offense - serious stuff!
I dont think its a federal offense as the odometer statement is on a State Form (title) when its sold. Hard to be a federal offense for filling out a state form.

Also, I know in my state there are different boxes to check when the selling the car on the title for the mileage statement. Basically only one is "true" mileage the others are "broken odometer" / "mileage unsure" type of things. He may have SAID that it had 125k but checked a box or something indicating otherwise.

For example, if you have put different size tires (diameter) on your car do you legally think you can check that the mileage on the odometer is the true mileage? In those cases it is always best not to certify the mileage. So, like many things, its buyer beware.

When buying selling cars there is always asymmetric information involved. When the buyer uses asymmetric info, it is a "good deal" or "barn find". When a seller does it he is a "browneye" (see above).

-Dana
Old 09-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.rolledbackodometer.com/fe...meter-law.html

Legal notes from some ambulance chaser's website.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Whoah - maybe want to get a second opinion before spending this kind of money.

Originally Posted by Monte951
A new wiring harness? I need basically everything that comes out of the DME. I think it’s these 3:
944 607 029 00 - Wiring harness starter generator
951 612 001 10 - wiring harness engine compartment
951 607 021 03 - Wiring harness DME
why, does the car need an entire new engine harness, does it not start or run right? DME harness is the "engine" harness. The starter and battery cables are separate, and the engine compartment harness is for the headlights, turn signals, etc.

Brand new head bolts and nuts, and brand new exhaust studs for the head? (Saw some performance ones for $300 bucks… for head bolts… I’d really like less expensive bolts)
Are the original head studs broke? If not, leave those. Usually the head nuts and washers that are inside the cam tower are pristine and can be reused, so you may want to replace the 5 that were on the outside of the head. Exhaust studs and nuts are a good idea to replace.

The hose coming off the brake booster. Mine had a connector in the middle with a vacuum line running to it.
Connector with the vacuum fitting is normal on certain MY 951s.

There’s a valve behind the cylinders with an electrical connection and 3 small hoses coming off of it. I’ll try to find a picture, but I need that thing and the hoses.
Cycline valve?

Everything else I’m pretty sure I’m good on but, as I have learned on here, 10,000 heads are better than one so heres the rest of the list.

Timing belt
Water pump w thermostat
Wide fire gasket set
Rollers and tentioners
Idle air hoses (venturi delete hoses)
Fuel injector seals
Motor mounts
Transmission mount
Front wheel bearings
Oil filter
Plugs/wires
Redline trans fluid.

That’s the list. Most of the stuff I’m getting on Lindsay or Paragon. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Seems like a long list, from a potentially over zealous mechanic. Are the wheel bearings making noise? Transmission hanging low? Gas in the oil (injector seals bad)? Prioritize the list of what is obviously in need of immediate repair, and put the others on a list of things to take care of (eventually).
Old 09-22-2009, 12:55 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Well, I could start crying about the $$$$$$$ that I have put on my car and it has now 69K.
If I start adding all the receipts I have since I bought the car my wife will go shopping all weekend without coming home(revenge).
Old 09-22-2009, 01:36 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with Jim. Sounds like a lot of potentially unnecessary work.

I'd have him put the head back on (replacing the exhaust studs and timing belt only) and take the car to another mechanic for a second opinion. The other stuff you mentioned possibly being wrong won't be that much more difficult to replace with the head on.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:27 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh B
http://www.rolledbackodometer.com/fe...meter-law.html

Legal notes from some ambulance chaser's website.
Definitely breaks federal laws then. Sue him for 100k miles worth of use you just found out you had to help pay for the crap you now have to fix =/
Old 09-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Monte951
Advanced

Okay, been out for a couple hours, lets answer some feedback!

First up, yup it's the cycline valve. Now if i do a boost controller wouldn't i delete that part?

Second to minho78, thank you, that harness looks good, just gonna contact seller make sure it's new & see about a warranty. And thank God, my wife has a hardcore passion for this car and shes the one that saves and spends the money for this project. Now before everyone calls me the lucky bastard that i am, this does tend to hinder the time i get to spend behind the wheel.

Third to oddjob and jerome951:
The harness i have is good and car runs very well but the plastic coating is cracking very close to a lot of the connectors. You can see the wires and some corrosion on them plus the whole darn thing is really brittle. Mechanic highly reccommended it and is letting me purchase the harness and hook it up to the DME connector. I'm sure he'll make a couple bucks in labor hooking up the other stuff but it's cool.

The head bolts are just freaking old and one had to be broken to get off. I am finding out that these 10 bolts and nuts are about $80 bucks from porsche, seems a lil high and my mechanic has also reccomended i find them if i can. replacing only 5 would be helpful, but i'll see what kinda price i can drum up. Anything i can't find he will buy through porsche.

The exhaust studs are all shot to hell and that was the main reason for pulling the head in the first place. I will replace those as soon as i find em.

The brake booster hose with the fitting has been jerry rigged so i wasn't sure what the heck went there. What is it called and is the connector for the vacume part of the hose?

The timing belt and water pump is just a safty thing i figured is cheaper to do now that the head is off than as a seperate job.

Plugs and wires i will do upon inspecting the current ones. Everything seemed ok but most of this is preventative maintenance. Oil and filter is just reasonable.

Trannsmission fluid is after the tranny mount and engine mounts. The transmission is sitting funny as is the engine due to the engine mounts. The engine mounts are shot and engine is resting on metal. Shifting into reverse is a huge problem involving slaming the stick back holding it in and it popping right out. You have to repeat this over and over until it holds. Stop laughing. My mechanic is letting me buy all these parts as well as replace the tranny mount as it is someting i can handle. (Big thanks to Clint) The motor mounts i'll let him make a few bucks on.

Injector o rings are 10 bucks so if they're new then cool we'll do that too.

The wheel bearing in the fron is also someting i'll do myself and it's only 50 bucks for the set.

All in all, i'll get back to everybody on the final cost of the parts. but the head cleaning and machining was $700 from memphis and it is perfect, and my mechanic is telling me about 1300 for putting it all back together and the timing belt and water pump.

Lastly JoshB and Dana
I'll post the saga of this 951 later and send you a link but yeah it i got it from ATL and it was pauls. but it wasn't also. i'll explain later....

I'm just now making 951 friends and havn't been able to spend to much time under the hood of these cars yet. Me and the wife are looking foward to getting greasy.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Monte951 I just replaced two of my exhaust studs. I bought it from NAPA they have a Stailess steel kit that you can tight it with a small six point socket. I believe the size is 8x1.25mm. If you look at previous posts you'll also find that some people are using saturn parts.

Good luck
Old 09-22-2009, 06:25 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

$1300 dollars it's not bad at all.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:27 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Fuel lines?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Engine/DME harness for sale in this thread for $25: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...e-25-each.html

Though frankly, the crumbling harness is probably just due to age, and there is a chance that the one in the thread above is going to have the same crumbling issues.

Quick Reply: I need a bunch of stuff... and help... says my mechanic