Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:27 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is allergic to the rain.

So last time we had a bad rain I go out to my car to go to work and it just spins over. I decided I would just work from home that day. An hour into it however, I hear a horn blasting outside. Not a honk-honk-honk like your typical alarm, more like hoooooooo...nk - yes a neverending honk.

I run out and disconnect the battery. Somehow water had gotten into the car under the typical battery tray area and infiltrated the DME, KLR and the alarm box.
In fact, the alarm module was over 1/2 full of water - I assume this is why the horn went blasting off.

Pulled the boxes out, brought them in and opened them up. They dried out and car was fine - no lasting damage!

However, I couldn't find a hole in the battery tray... I'm sure there's one hidden there somewhere though.

So it rained real hard again the other day - I knew it was coming so I actually moved the computers out onto the floor so if water found its way in again they'd be ok.

The next morning I went out to the car and... dead.

No dash lights at all, nothing. The dome light would come on but was dim. It honestly seemed like something was shorting out and not just a dead battery.
Just a short while later the battery was completely dead and nothing would come on.

So I worked from home again.

Today I picked up a new battery and a little load tester thing to check the draw. As soon as I touched the cables to the battery one of the fans came on.

Interesting, I thought.
Pulled the fuse for "Cooling Fan 1" and still have fan.
Pulled the fuse for "Cooling Fan 2" and no fan.

Grrrr.....

So does this sound more like the fan relay or the temperature switch to you guys?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:55 AM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gap between the rear edge of the hood and the windshield is a real weak point in the design of these cars IMO. I have found it is a good idea to take a bath sized towel and cover it up if you have to leave the car out in heavy rain. The windshield wipers will hold it in place.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked and I have a temp switch if you end up needing one...

Quick Reply: My car is allergic to the rain.