Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ITB Intake Manifold interest

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested, but not until I do my turbo upgrade. I'd also want to know that minimal tweaking would be required to make the design work. DIY setups usually fail because of the operator/tuner's lack of ability to troubleshoot tuning and design problems.

With that said, I hate the stock design, and wish Porsche had made something a little more simple with a larger plenum and NOT funky shaped runners. WTF Porsche?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:20 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
"This made me laugh. Sounds like a shiny intake that failed miserably on our dyno. "

We would expect YOU to say that as that's how you do business.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
"This made me laugh. Sounds like a shiny intake that failed miserably on our dyno. "

We would expect YOU to say that as that's how you do business.
By telling the truth and sometimes the truth hurts. The dyno does not lie!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by DDP
Oh the irony!!! lol
Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944obscene
With that said, I hate the stock design, and wish Porsche had made something a little more simple with a larger plenum and NOT funky shaped runners. WTF Porsche?
The stock manifold is an excellent design actually. It's difficult to find any aftermarket manifold that will outflow it. It's a bit uneven runner to runner, but that's an easy fix with some deflectors. Some aftermarket manifolds may make it easier to swap the turbo or might look pretty, but don't let that fool you as to how well they perform. Engineering is lacking.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by DDP
Some aftermarket manifolds may make it easier to swap the turbo or might look pretty, but don't let that fool you as to how well they perform. Engineering is lacking.

Not to mention torque................
Old 09-14-2009, 04:28 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Don't get me started, Chris. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf here, lol.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by DDP
Don't get me started, Chris. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf here, lol.
One day at a time bro. One day at a time. lol
Old 09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by 944obscene
I think the goal here for LR is a manifold that offers intense flow up top, and can perform with any degree of head and valvetrain modifications. Interestingly, I've found that most cars making oogles of power, and performing well with lots of engineering behind them, used things like ITB's and stand-off injection. While only one of these things is really available for a turbo car, I think that one could pick up a noticeable amount of power simply from utilizing an ITB setup to it's full potential. Not meaning for MAX FLOW, but instead for most optimal tuning. Runner length, throttle plate diameter, intake horn design and taper... They're all a factor. With a boosted setup, I'd want really super short runners, and short horns, or stacks with a small taper. Large plenum design and good tuning, would really unlock a turbo car, even with SOHC design!
I think it depends what your goal is. I spend almost no time on the track and majority of my time doing weekend drives. I want a very balanced car with as near a flat TQ as possible. When Mike asked about interest, my answer is dependant on whether it helps me meet my goals.

I don't disagree that your comments are aligned to making big power. I am not interested in big power. I am interested in a flat TQ curve and good road manners. Whether or not I invest in the LR product will depend on how aligned it is to my goals.

Any thoughts about this intake manifold and a flat TQ curve? (Yes, I know I should have done the V8 conversion. Too late now.)
Old 09-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

This intake? Has it already been released by someone else?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle951
I think it depends what your goal is. I spend almost no time on the track and majority of my time doing weekend drives. I want a very balanced car with as near a flat TQ as possible. When Mike asked about interest, my answer is dependant on whether it helps me meet my goals.

I don't disagree that your comments are aligned to making big power. I am not interested in big power. I am interested in a flat TQ curve and good road manners. Whether or not I invest in the LR product will depend on how aligned it is to my goals.

Any thoughts about this intake manifold and a flat TQ curve? (Yes, I know I should have done the V8 conversion. Too late now.)
Weather or not there's a 1 large TB or several smaller does not need to affect power, torque or flow. Torque is dependent on runner length (long runners). If you want maximum torque you will probably not find an aftermarket intake that works better than the stock intake.
The main benefits of an ITB intake is throttle response. By having the TB's after the plenum means there's positive pressure in the plenum and not vacuum. So by the time you press down the throttle you don't have to wait for the plenum to be filled, hence the power comes faster.

So for a street engine ITB's can be a very good mod if done right. The gains can be hard to get data on since throttle response doesn't show up on the dyno.. A good test is to record turbo spool-up before/after.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 PM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by Duke
If you want maximum torque you will probably not find an aftermarket intake that works better than the stock intake..
That was the conclusion I came to after my research and trying aftermarket manifolds.

Originally Posted by Duke
The main benefits of an ITB intake is throttle response. By having the TB's after the plenum means there's positive pressure in the plenum and not vacuum. So by the time you press down the throttle you don't have to wait for the plenum to be filled, hence the power comes faster.

So for a street engine ITB's can be a very good mod if done right. The gains can be hard to get data on since throttle response doesn't show up on the dyno.. A good test is to record turbo spool-up before/after.
That makes sense to me.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:16 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
This intake? Has it already been released by someone else?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i think in these E85 crazy times injector placement is far more benifical and cost effective than ITB's
show me 5 jap cars making over 250hp/litre with ITB's
and as lihnsey is already set up with fuel rail etc a second set of injectors up the runner would be a much better concept ..
also a plastic or compisite inlet manifold would be a nice thing
lighter less thermal conductivity ..
Old 09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
95ONE
Race Car

YOU guys are killing me! I have a one off of this already in works for 968 16v only. Put all those together. God I wish I had finished my project. Carbon plenum. Overhead injectors on cnc'd velocity stacks metered by four custom cnc 50mm throttle bodies. supplemented by a second stage of injectors. Powered by, of course,E-85. mmmmmm. I'm dying to get my cnc pieces back from my cnc guy.

Like I said. A One off only, but I certainly don't want to look like a copy cat (beyond the obvious milledge idea) so, I'm sayin it now!

That said, My COST will end up in the mid $2K range.

Had I not been doing this Mike, I would CERTAINLY consider an $1800 itb option. Itb Response is fantastic. One condition. A before and after dyno. just intakes being different so I knew what I was getting into. Even Flow numbers are paramount, but the end result is power. For the record most of my replacement parts along with a few custom pieces were bought from Mike with superior customer service.

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-14-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: ITB Intake Manifold interest