Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need New Turbo for 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Fairfax 944
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New Turbo for 951

Hi, I have a 1986 951 that needs a new turbo. I finished pulling the old turbo last night, and the exhaust turbin is in two pieces and separated from the shaft.

I've had the fortune of never needing to buy a new turbo before, and wonder where is the best place to get one? Looks like the car had a KKK 26/8 in it.

I don't want to violate any forum rules, but I saw a new one from an online 944 parts place for about $1,700, and a rebuilt one for $650, provided a good core was returned (mine is pretty beat up internally, so I definitely won't be getting the full core value).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Jim
Old 09-09-2009, 11:54 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you in fairfax VA? If so I have a spare turbine wheel / shaft and can recommend an excellent local turbo rebuild shop...
Old 09-10-2009, 12:04 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Yes as joka asked are you a Va local or a fairfax of another state?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:34 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
Yes as joka asked are you a Va local or a fairfax of another state?
One of his other posts said he had issues running at VIR...so I'll assume he's VA..

Shoot me an E-mail to johnkoawood@aol.com or shoot me a message on here..

I bought a second hand turbo, ended up being worse than the one I pulled off my car

BUT... it has a decent looking turbine, and shaft...

Tims Turbos in Falls church did my balance after I rebuilt it... Tim is top notch, real good guy...

http://www.timsturbos.com/Balancing.html

He also does full rebuilds... and won't use chinese crap bearings... his shop is insane... turbo housings everywhere...

he might take a little while to get it done, but is well worth the wait... (he is a very busy guy) if you goto his shop..ask him when he is looking to sell his boat... and make sure you check out his Camaro... that turbo is HUGE...

let me know if you want the turbine wheel (is one assembled piece with the shaft)... it CAN be used with a different compressor wheel (compressor wheel I have is damaged, but can be repaired), will just need to be balanced, but then it will need balanced anyway... I also have the center section, and compressor wheel that all came semi-together when I got it (was missing bolts and straps for the compressor housing)...

my self rebuild, including balancing cost me almost as much as he rebuilds turbos for, so just take everything to him, and have him do the rebuild...
Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Fairfax 944
Track Day

Yes, I'm in Fairfax VA (actually Fairfax Station which is just south of Fairfax). Seems like Tim's Turbos is the way to go. Hopefully, he's not too backed up.

I'm pretty certain that the turbo that failed was a 26/8, and that's what I'm looking to put back on the car. The shaft of the turbo is broken, the exhaust turbine is split in two with one piece loose, the other piece really really wedged in the housing. Looks like the turbo was spinning at 150,000 loose inside the housing after it broke off, and caused some damage inside.

Jim
Old 09-10-2009, 11:22 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fairfax 944
Yes, I'm in Fairfax VA (actually Fairfax Station which is just south of Fairfax). Seems like Tim's Turbos is the way to go. Hopefully, he's not too backed up.

I'm pretty certain that the turbo that failed was a 26/8, and that's what I'm looking to put back on the car. The shaft of the turbo is broken, the exhaust turbine is split in two with one piece loose, the other piece really really wedged in the housing. Looks like the turbo was spinning at 150,000 loose inside the housing after it broke off, and caused some damage inside.

Jim
Tim is a busy guy, but the way I look at it is a busy turbo shop is busy for a reason.. He knows what he is doing, and does a hell of a good job...

Post rebuild and balance I am spooling at 2100 RPM, and getting MUCH better turbo response.... makes we wonder how many of us have never driven with a new 26-6 to know what it SHOULD feel like...
Old 09-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim:

I can sell you the K26/8 that came off my car a few months back when we put the Vitesse turbo in. PM me if you're interested.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Charlie @ Evergreen turbo has made several good turbos for various cars I have had. 800-275-2531.

Steve
Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Might want to consider a turbo upgrade at this point, you know you want more power! LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Fairfax 944
Track Day

Originally Posted by Renn 951
Jim:

I can sell you the K26/8 that came off my car a few months back when we put the Vitesse turbo in. PM me if you're interested.

Hi John,

About how old is your K26/8? Why did you upgrade? (I assume more power)
Do I remember reading that you blew your head gasket at VIR last weekend? Didn't you just lose your head gaket a couple of years ago?

- - - - - - -

As to Tim's Turbos, he says it's nearly impossible to get parts for turbos for a944, so he won't/can't rebuild mine.

My car is a non-street legal race car. I'm considering selling it in a couple of years, so I need to keep the turbo somewhat stock for 944 Supercup racing. (In this economy, the dedicated DE car has less attraction than it did in the past) I assume the K26/8 will work in Supercup. Anybody know for sure?

So, I'm back in the hunt for an off-the-shelf solution to my turbo issue.

Jim
Old 09-10-2009, 04:01 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow the price of the K26/8 new has gone up about $400 since I last bought one through my supplier. Nearing those costs, I would definitely look into a turbo upgrade, maybe consider Vitesse's k26 cheater turbo.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Jim:

You changed turbo's?!?! Good for you.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairfax 944
Hi John,

About how old is your K26/8? Why did you upgrade? (I assume more power)
Do I remember reading that you blew your head gasket at VIR last weekend?

Jim
Originally Posted by Chris Prack
You changed turbo's?!?! Good for you.
Jim:

I bought the turbo from Chris Prack three years ago; it was an upgrade from my K26/6 that had failed. It was running fine; I just wanted more power so I got a Vitesse Stage II as a replacement.

My quest for power succeeded, but I overwhelmed the head gasket at VIR. I'm getting the head o-ringed, and new Raceware studs will provide more clamping force.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

I assume the K26/8 will work in Supercup. Anybody know for sure?
On your '86? No, the turbo DME & KLR need to be stock. KLR chip needs to be stock too, but you can run a non-stock DME with 100# weight hike. I think I remember you saying that your engine is delivering 290-odd HP at teh wheels which is well over the Supercup HP limit for an 86. Check with Dave Derecola for current HP limit numbers.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Fairfax 944
Track Day

Originally Posted by APKhaos
On your '86? No, the turbo DME & KLR need to be stock. KLR chip needs to be stock too, but you can run a non-stock DME with 100# weight hike. I think I remember you saying that your engine is delivering 290-odd HP at teh wheels which is well over the Supercup HP limit for an 86. Check with Dave Derecola for current HP limit numbers.
Tony, Thanks for the info. Oh well, no 944 Supercup in the near future.

Jim:

I bought the turbo from Chris Prack three years ago; it was an upgrade from my K26/6 that had failed. It was running fine; I just wanted more power so I got a Vitesse Stage II as a replacement.

My quest for power succeeded, but I overwhelmed the head gasket at VIR. I'm getting the head o-ringed, and new Raceware studs will provide more clamping force.

John, Sorry about the head gasket, and good luck with the continued upgrades. I'm going to continue on my search for a new/rebuilt turbo today. If those don't work out, I'll shoot you an email.

Just to be clear, when you say bought the turbo from Chris Prack, did you buy it new or used?

Jim

Quick Reply: Need New Turbo for 951