944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AUTOTHORITY MAF SETUP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009 | 02:51 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Yep I would like to state the same thing in a slightly different manner. If the High end Maf kits "need" a piggy back, then what's the difference between them and a Lighting or Cobra Maf and a piggy back controller?
Is the duplication of the transfer function what allows a MAF to directly replace a AFM without a Piggy Back?
Old 12-29-2009 | 06:49 PM
944CS
Drifting

I have first hand experience with both Autothority and Lindsey's MAF. I will tell you I liked the Autothority better. It did not run lean like most people claim, and I even ran 2 wastegate shims in addition to the restricted banjo bolt. I logged the a/f's with my Zeitronix ZT-2 to verify.

The reason I went to the Lindsey system was because the Autothority ran a little RICH. Not pig rich like most claim as well. 11:1 with occasional dips to 10.9:1 was as rich as it ran, right up to 7000.

I hated the Lindsey system due to the Mafterburner. It was easy to adjust a/f ratios, but the added computer really killed the throttle response. Once I pushed the pedal I had to wait at least a half second for the car to respond. This ruined the driving experience for me. I got used to it, but it really is not the correct way to do things.
Old 12-30-2009 | 05:10 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

I have a lightly modded Turbo S with the stock AFM, Max Chip and supporting mods. I don't see how the Mafteburner is responsible for lazy throttle response. My turbos S runs beautifully but throttle response is kind of lazy.

My 92 Tercel has better snap throttle response than my 951! 951 just has a lazy throttle unless it's on full boil, isn't that just the nature of the Beast?

I don't have the Lindsey Maf setup just raising a point.
Old 12-30-2009 | 05:50 PM
944CS
Drifting

No the 944 turbo won't have the throttle response of a normally aspirated car until it's at an rpm where boost build up is fast - thats mainly due to the low compression ratio. Even then, "snap" throttle response will never be like a normally aspirated car.

The mafterburner adds another piece of circuitry to the puzzle - and the time it takes to send the DME information is noticeable.
Old 12-30-2009 | 06:23 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I never noticed a delay in the responce of the car with the mafterburner. The maferburner controls 250 cells of analog voltage coming to it. This will take less then 0.001 seconds for any micro processor running a a respectable clock rate to do a transfer on this many points.

If you are see 0.5 seconds delays, I really doubt it was from the internal delay of the maferburner. I have sent a Email to Zone-5 Performance Products to see if they have a specification on this.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 12-30-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: AUTOTHORITY MAF SETUP?