Low Price Tow loops for 944s

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Low Price Tow loops for 944s

Low Price Tow loops for 944s

I have been a bit bored lately and when I saw the rear tow hook that was on B&B Track Car Rental B&B 1.

So while at the local Home Depot picting up a few things, I started thinking,
I wonder if there is anything here that would work as a good tow loop??
1st I looked for a big stainless U bolt, but they didn't have anything bigger than what already was on the car.... The I noticed the Trailer tie down loops, less than $10 each Now I had my replacement Loop, next was hardware, well, some 3/8X1 Stainless allen bolts were the largest that would fit through the mounting holes in the tie downs, after grabbing some washers & nuts (They didn't have nylocks, so I will be replacing ASAP, but these are OK for now with lock washers..
Only simple hand tools needed to install, I went ahead & bough a 1/8s tap & bit ($8) since mine are metric & I wanted to play today..
Tape measure,
Drill, punch, tap, 8mm allen wrench & 14mm deep socket are all the tools need to do this to do this job...

OK, here we go...

1) measure where you want to mount the loop, there are ribs behind the bumper, so make sure you drill around them..

2) Mark your hole & drill.

3) Tap that hole!!!!! The bumper it's self isn't strong enough to hold, so this is just to give you a bit threads with the large washers in the back, small one up front.

4) Screw the bolt in, with the loop plate mounted, mark the 2nd hole & repeat the process. Add your washers, lock washers, you may need to bend the back washers to fit under the rib in the back of the bumper.

5) Clean up the bumper, either paint or powder coat the loops RED and either tough up the bumper or place a decal behind the mounts...

The front mounds the same way, but you will need to remove the bumper to fit the washers & nuts... I'm going to powder coat the front loops.

Now you can sit back & enjoy a nice Arogant Bastard Ale knowing that you have a solid tow loop at each end for a bit over $20

Now, there is one more thing, you may want to put something behind the loops so they don't bounce & bang on your bumper, I using pieces of Astro Deck, a foan decal for surfboard(I just happen to have a few peices around, will update when installed..
Old 09-04-2009, 01:27 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Your's looks good but the first one posted looks like an exhaust clamp!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:06 AM
racerbvd
Banned

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Your's looks good but the first one posted looks like an exhaust clamp!
One reason I wanted to replace it, and it was loose too
I just thought I would share the tip, hope it helps someone out..
Later on I'll powder the base to match the bumper & the loops red. I did both, with the one painted in about 45 minutes...
Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't mean to offend but i wouldn't even think of using this as a tow hook other than real short distances or partial tying down on a trailer, with everything hanging on by 2, 3/8x1" bolts.

95sl320 dd
Old 09-04-2009, 12:25 PM
racerbvd
Banned

No offence taken, but have you looked at the size of the bolts that mount the bumper shocks to the tub, they are smaller, but they are Grade 3??? This is only meant for short distance & up the trailer...

Last edited by racerbvd; 09-04-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Even if you wanted to bulk it up for towing that would be quite easy.

Cut a plate of 1/4 or whatever thickeness to go behind it, and fasten the hook straight throught the bumper and plate and bolt it down with good hardware.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:45 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Good hardware is always the key... My Trailer World trailer has the same loops on it, and uses the same size hardware. I have had it for 10 years (custom ordered) and it has been tested, if the bolts didn't snap when some dumb-*** pulled right out in front of me, and stopped to let someone else out (instead of waiting for the light to change) causing me to slam on the brakes on my Suburban 2500 with my Trans AM GTA on the trailer, these should be fine for a light weight 944.... When I pull the bumers, I already planned on adding a strip of steel....
Old 09-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

I like this idea alot. I've been thinking about cheap towing points.

I had planned to do what I described, but with a big eye bolt. This tiedown isnt that bad of an idea though, fold them down and save your shins some pain when now in use. I'll have to take a walk through Home Depot and find something I like.

Got a pic of it zoomed out a bit showing some of the car after it was painted and mounted nice?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:34 PM
racerbvd
Banned

I just installed this yesterday, the next 2 weekends are track weekends, after that I'm taking the tie downs off the trailer & car & have them powder coated..

Quick Reply: Low Price Tow loops for 944s