Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil in intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:53 PM
goldminer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in intercooler

I blew a hole in the hose that exits the intercooler during a track day on the weekend. As a result a whole load of oil blew out over the exhaust causing me a few anxious moments as the cabin filled with white smoke. How does the oil get into the intercooler? Does it mean I've got a problem with the turbo? What normally happens to this oil?
BTW we fixed the leak for the day by tying a rag around the hole!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil in the intercooler / intake is either caused by oil coming out of the AOS, a catchcan installed between the pipes under the intake and the J Boot will catch this...

Only other cause would be blown seals on the turbo compressor side... this was my issue, and my turbo has been rebuilt since... but MAF also failed at same time so I am waiting for parts to totally confirm oiling problems are solved...
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Check to see if there is oil BEFORE the turbo, around the line coming from under the intake to the J boot... if there is oil here, you need a catchcan or to stuff your AOS with steel wool.... or a ring job on your motor to prevent the blowby...

if no oil before the turbo, you need to rebuild / replace the turbo...
Old 09-01-2009, 01:36 AM
goldminer
Instructor

Okay, I give up.
AOS= "Another Oil Source"
or "Appliance On Side"
or "Actual Operating Stuff"
or ????
I'll check whether there is oil before the turbo, as you suggest. I'll keep an eye out for AOS's whilst I'm in there....
Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air/Oil Separator

The hose that goes into the J-pipe (the one that goes into the front of the turbo) has an inlet on the side - that feeds back to the AOS (the AOS itself is at the back of the block under the intake manifold)

JohnKoa turned me on to http://www.saikoumichi.com/951_page.htm - I bought one of their catch cans and it's very nicely done. Easy install as well if you have replaced the stock air box with a MAF - just bolts right in to that mount and they supply the bracket. You have to special order from them though - takes a couple weeks to get it.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Oil in the intercooler is one of the issues with our cars. The AOS (defined above) is your crankcase vent. These cars were built when the auto companies were still figuring out pollution control. The vented crankcase vapors are recycled through the low pressure side of your air intake. From there it goes through the compressor through the intercooler and is burned during the normal combustion sequence.

A lot of us are using catch cans to capture a significant portion of this vapor. They come in 2 varieties, vented to atmosphere or recycled as before. I am using the recycled for 2 reasons, the first is I believe that the intake pulling a vacuum on the crankcase helps the rings to seat the other is that it is more environmentally friendly. Their are several others out there from the vent to atmosphere camp who can give you the pluses of venting to air.

Remove your intercooler, clean it out, have a beer and put it back in.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by goldminer
Okay, I give up.
AOS= "Another Oil Source"
or "Appliance On Side"
or "Actual Operating Stuff"
or ????
I'll check whether there is oil before the turbo, as you suggest. I'll keep an eye out for AOS's whilst I'm in there....
Sorry..but... awe hell..I'm just sorry...

I contract for the govt..acronyms are in my blood... have a beer, watch stripes.... you understand....

I personally like "actual operating stuff"..... with "appliance on side" as a close second...
Old 09-01-2009, 06:15 PM
BGA9512
Advanced

Originally Posted by goldminer
BTW we fixed the leak for the day by tying a rag around the hole!
Australia is all out of duct tape??? It is much better to have your car duct taped than on the rag!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 PM
goldminer
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Sorry..but... awe hell..I'm just sorry...

I contract for the govt..acronyms are in my blood... have a beer, watch stripes.... you understand....

I personally like "actual operating stuff"..... with "appliance on side" as a close second...
No worries John, I was just being smart and exercising my brain at work for a change.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
goldminer
Instructor

Originally Posted by BGA9512
Australia is all out of duct tape??? It is much better to have your car duct taped than on the rag!
We tried duct tape and cable ties first but it only lasted one lap. Oddly enough I set my fastest lap after the hose failed so my car is a rare example of something performing when "on the rag"!

How easy is it to mount the catch can with a stock airbox?

Last edited by goldminer; 09-01-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Depending on what you get fairly easy. No more than 3 cans of VB. I assume your car is more or less stock. You are best off with the Saikou Michi attaches to the front of your belt cover. The pain is routing all of the hosing. If you cannot reuse the stuff you have be sure to get hose that is oil resistant. Be sure to route the drain so that it is readily accessable.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I currently have that problem. I will install twin Saikou Michi catch can next weekend. Will test it next neek at Mt-Tremblant.

Here is a picture of the oil before the cold part of the turbo when I was at Mosport earlier this summer. I did 2 DE with that crap... Hope the catch cans will solve that... But I believe that are other problems... My Turbo is a brand new stage 2 by Speedforceracing (less than 500 hundred miles on it).
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
goldminer
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlm328
Depending on what you get fairly easy. No more than 3 cans of VB. I assume your car is more or less stock. You are best off with the Saikou Michi attaches to the front of your belt cover. The pain is routing all of the hosing. If you cannot reuse the stuff you have be sure to get hose that is oil resistant. Be sure to route the drain so that it is readily accessable.
Aha! Someone who understands that distances and maintenance jobs can be measured in beer!
New hoses are on their way from Lindsey Racing, I've sent an email to Saikou Michi and there's always beer in the fridge. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by choinga
Air/Oil Separator

The hose that goes into the J-pipe (the one that goes into the front of the turbo) has an inlet on the side - that feeds back to the AOS (the AOS itself is at the back of the block under the intake manifold)

JohnKoa turned me on to http://www.saikoumichi.com/951_page.htm - I bought one of their catch cans and it's very nicely done. Easy install as well if you have replaced the stock air box with a MAF - just bolts right in to that mount and they supply the bracket. You have to special order from them though - takes a couple weeks to get it.
Do you replace the factory AOS or just put the new one in line with the factory one?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rick
Do you replace the factory AOS or just put the new one in line with the factory one?
New one in line, run hose from the fitting on top of the factory AOS (AIR OIL SEPARATOR) to the catchcan (or off the hard line under the intake) then from the catchcan to the J boot (or J Pipe if running a MAF with a J Pipe)

Old pic, but shows the can...and the hoses..I have since performed the mythical venturi delete, and rid myself of the hard line octopus under the intake.. Eventualy I will replace the lines I have with sillycone replacements... as I just replaced my couplers with sillycone ones..in matching red....

Quick Reply: Oil in intercooler