Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replace exhaust studs or leave as is?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace exhaust studs or leave as is?

I'm completing my engine rebuild and I remember when I was putting my headers back on last time it was a TOTAL bitch took my friend and I like a couple hours and there was a lot of hammering things together.

My studs are kinda eh...wonky. A couple of them definitely aren't totally straight, and the threads aren't looking so hot either.

Should I attempt to replace these, and risk the breakage nightmare - or just deal with wonky studs?

Is it possible to put the motor back in from beneath with the headers already on? If so, it wouldn't be so difficult to get them back on even with the wonky threads.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

If going in thru the bottom of the car, you can have the engine completely assembled. If I were you I would go ahead and replace them. If the engine is already out of the car, it will be a LOT easier.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:04 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Know where I can get them? 944online has them in a kit for ($52 ends up being $64 after shipping) and dc auto has them for $3 a pop (but with shipping ends up being like $40!). Seems like if I had the specs I could just pull them from mcmaster.

Edit: Found @ Pelican for $5.75
Old 08-30-2009, 12:29 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search on Sharky - he sells some nice ones too (reasonably priced). Also do a search on Saturn in this forum, as they have some studs with star ends that will work in our head. If I were rebuilding an engine, it would be a no-brainer to replace some studs that are banged up.

Quick Reply: Replace exhaust studs or leave as is?