Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Adam Poland
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blow off valve

I have lindsey racings billet BOV on my car currently. I wanted an atmospheric BOV, however, I've heard that atmospheric BOVs are not good for 951s? Is this true?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:41 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

You need to run a blow-thru MAF setup if you want to run an atmospheric BOV. Otherwise you will be dumping metered air and it will run rich in between shifts. They make some partial dump diverter valves (dump a portion to atmosphere and recirculate the rest) that will make the car run not so rich but still give a louder atmospheric sound.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

There really isn't any gain by going this route. Are you doing so to attain the sound?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

HKS makes a recirculated BOV but be prepared too spend 400+ on that.. Otherwise go buy a honda.... and turbo it.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:41 AM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The AOS in the 944 works very poorly. If you do an atmospheric blow off valve it will puke oil, makes a big mess.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vent to the atmosphere and don't experience any negative effects. The car still feels normal between shifts and there's no oil spewing from it. I'm not a ricer and it's like that only because my intake pipe has no provision for a diverter and i dont want to waste my time and money having it welded since i'm going with an ems possibly over the winter anyway.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Do you have standalone?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:43 PM
hinch951
Instructor

I have one of the "evo" style diverter valves, similar to the stock set up and everytime I go to shift into second or any other gear the car bucks and jumps until the rpms climb a bit. It has never run right since I installed it. However, the stock BOV runs fine, but I can hear it flutter in between shifts, i am assuming a bit of compressor surge. I also have one of the older style lindsey racing bov's and it reacts the same as this "billet" style with the solid piston. Some guywho works on audi tt's said you have to oil the hell out of them,because the piston sometimes sticks....I wasn't sure if I neededa different spring or what? I am running a autothority MAF setup, with chips and that's it. Stock k26.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:48 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I have a tial and changed my vitesse over to a blowthru when I fabbed my front mount IC up. To vent to atmosphere you need to go blowthru or speedensity other while they typically run bad between shifts, sometime blow a flame or two out the exhaust.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

My stock car pops flames out of the exhaust. Fine by me. I'm running ALL stock equipment, save the LR 3" exhaust. Even with the stock exhaust, I'd pop a 7" flame out the back sometimes.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Originally Posted by 944obscene
My stock car pops flames out of the exhaust. Fine by me. I'm running ALL stock equipment, save the LR 3" exhaust. Even with the stock exhaust, I'd pop a 7" flame out the back sometimes.
Same here lol. But I was not going for this to attain the sound. I was hoping maybe I could just maybe clean things up a little bit by removing the vacuum line. I just heard this and wanted to see if it was true or not. Im not wasting money on one if I already have LRs billet BOV. It was just curiosity.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 AM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hp18racer
The AOS in the 944 works very poorly. If you do an atmospheric blow off valve it will puke oil, makes a big mess.
This.

Trust me it sucks big time.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by mclarenno9
This.

Trust me it sucks big time.
Mine works find and I have very little oil in my intercooler/intercooler pipes/intake manifold. If you're having issues with excess oil it may be from worn rings or scored cylinders allowing excess blow-by and pressurizing the crankcase, forcing oil vapor thru the AOS and into your intake system.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:10 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Mine works find and I have very little oil in my intercooler/intercooler pipes/intake manifold. If you're having issues with excess oil it may be from worn rings or scored cylinders allowing excess blow-by and pressurizing the crankcase, forcing oil vapor thru the AOS and into your intake system.
I understand my rings are probably not in the best condition and I probably get a bit more blowby then most, however it is my understanding that a bit of oil in the IC pipes is "normal" for these cars. Some of it could be coming from that pesky little K26 you see in my avatar!

I had one for a week and it sprayed a mist of oil onto the foam under-hood insulation and made a mess, so I got rid of it. Now I have a MAF so I have the best of both worlds. I can hear the recirc valve quite well.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by mclarenno9
I understand my rings are probably not in the best condition and I probably get a bit more blowby then most, however it is my understanding that a bit of oil in the IC pipes is "normal" for these cars. Some of it could be coming from that pesky little K26 you see in my avatar!

I had one for a week and it sprayed a mist of oil onto the foam under-hood insulation and made a mess, so I got rid of it. Now I have a MAF so I have the best of both worlds. I can hear the recirc valve quite well.
Yep, oil is considered "normal" because the design of the crank case ventilation system is a closed system. It's also a small plus to pull a vacuum on the crankcase (altho I don't know exactly how much, if any, the factory AOS pulls). If you want to reduce the oil, one way is to get an Oil catch can. Several options are out there for that.

I decided to go with a blow-off valve for two reasons. 1) the intake pipe I bought (no MAF for me, I'll be using MAP) did not have the provision for a bypass valve, and 2) I didn't want to run into any restriction problems as far as releasing pressure. I will be running 15psi normally but 20psi occasionally.

Last edited by Darwantae951; 08-25-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Blow off valve