Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

High HP engine owners, what clutch options are out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
George, are you saying you had a KEP2/930 combo slip at 400hp? That would be disappointing to hear. My factory clutch did fine with no slip up to 350rwhp.
We got slip at about 430whp using the KEP2/930 disc. Then went with a Gomes four puck and his PP. Clutch lasted about 15K. Then went with a custom Clutchmasters setup that Garrity has ran in his race cars and other applications that has also worn. Clutchmasters worked with us and we'll be trying another unit that should hold better.

Regards,

George
Old 08-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George D
We got slip at about 430whp using the KEP2/930 disc. Then went with a Gomes four puck and his PP. Clutch lasted about 15K. Then went with a custom Clutchmasters setup that Garrity has ran in his race cars and other applications that has also worn. Clutchmasters worked with us and we'll be trying another unit that should hold better.

Regards,

George

George,

I'm real interested to see how your new stuff turns out. My concern, and dissapointment with the Spec stuff, is modulation and chatter. If my wife can't drive the car with relative ease then it's not the set-up I want. The clutch and a WP are all I have left to pick up to finish my 3.0L.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 PM
George D
Drifting

The Clutchmasters setup was about perfect. We had an unbalanced flywheel that I didn't know about and the clutch work unevenly. It held fine, and the pedal was close to stock. We've since balanced the flywheel, replaced the tt bearings, and Clutchmasters completely rebuilt the clutch for very cheap. They warrantied the clutch for me. I just had to pay for the new materials used for the disc.

You can come out and drive the car when it gets back from SLC. We are still doing a sports car run up to Greer this fall.

George

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
George,

I'm real interested to see how your new stuff turns out. My concern, and dissapointment with the Spec stuff, is modulation and chatter. If my wife can't drive the car with relative ease then it's not the set-up I want. The clutch and a WP are all I have left to pick up to finish my 3.0L.

Quick Reply: High HP engine owners, what clutch options are out there?