Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Et voilà... another 3.0 8V hits the road

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nick_968
Thom, been following your progress on the gb website, nice work, very detailed and neat. The one thing I would change straight away to your setup is to swap the 968 fuel pump for the Bosch 044 motorsport fuel pump. If all is working as it should it will definately become the weak link. Good to see you up and running.
+1. Nick, It's funny how both of us saw the same thing and it raised a flag for me as well .
Thom, kudos on an excellent project. As you know, these things can't be rushed. I am sure it was well worth the wait. Enjoy it!
I decided to switch to Seimens 72lbs/hr injectors but a 3.8 bar 968 fpr and an S2 fuel damper.
Raj
Old 08-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Thom, fantastic work there. Our motors are very similar (right down to the replated fasteners) so I'm sure you are going to love it! There's nothing like driving a motor you built with your own hands!!

In the picture showing the crank girdle, I trust you sealed the oil galley on the other side as well. I think that is the real point of the loctite on the girdle -- to seal that galley.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:38 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks all for the comments.

APKhaos,
The snorkel is the most restrictive part in the original airbox set up.
My friend Sly with whom I built the engine (the small guy on the pictures) measured the vacuum in the J-boot at WOT on his car (2.5, LR75, 20psi) and found out that using an airbox without the snorkel showed about the same level of vacuum as when fitting a cone in place of the airbox.
Recently he noticed that his turbo was creating so much vacuum that the snorkel collapsed.
Our intention is to make a snorkel that allows for retaining sucking in cool air in the airbox and reduce the vacuum in the J-boot.

ModdedEverything951S,
Apparently the clutch works fine as I did 3000km. It felt a bit stiff right after driving the S2 but as soon as the second drive it felt perfect.
The 930 clutch disc isn't thicker than the stock 951 unit, the difference is in the area of the friction material that is superior on the 930's (the spring set up is different too).
I believe the problem with disengaging the clutch when using this set up appears on used motors with a badly worn out crank main thrust bearing.

Nick & Raj,
Thanks for the suggestion, that's also what John at Vitesse made me understand when I odered him the MAF kit. Will certainly have a look into it in the next months.
The 3.8 bar FPR is an interesting idea but I am not sure it will work with the set up from Vitesse?

Tom,
Thanks, for now driving it feels just ok, the weather is so damn hot here I'd rather not drive it until Autumn is back. The engine and I will both feel better when it's tuned and totally broken in.
We naturally sealed the whole surface. We may be French but we are not that stupid

Last edited by Thom; 12-25-2009 at 07:17 AM. Reason: grammuh + vokabyularee
Old 08-22-2009, 05:43 AM
tidev
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job. Why do you choose a Garret? how many hp have you win with this upgrade?

see you in french road
Old 08-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
ModdedEverything951S,
Apparently the clutch works fine as I did 3000km. It felt a bit stiff right after driving the S2 but as soon as the second drive it felt perfect.
The 930 clutch disc isn't thicker than the stock 951 unit, the only difference is in the area of the friction material that is superior on the 930's.
I believe the problem with disengaging the clutch when using this set up appears on used motors with a badly worn out crank main thrust bearing.
Thanks for the input. I was seriously looking at that combo until I began hearing rumors about it not functioning correctly.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:34 AM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

Where did you source the Mahle 8.0 turbo pistons? How much were they?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:31 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
+1. Nick, It's funny how both of us saw the same thing and it raised a flag for me as well.
+2

Without a doubt, he should get the #044 installed as extra insurance. This build has taken a long time, and I applaud him for the great job, and his patience as well.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:46 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Man, fantastic amount of money and time in that project... TITANIUM RODS? Baller.

Looks like a garret GT turbo..

Im a little confused on how you installed that Garret with the smaller cartridge oil drain pattern onto the larger pattern stock mount.. it LOOKS like you might have just drilled another hole? I do see the rubber O-ring sticking out on the back side..

I see you've probably done a lot of home work on this, but not too sure about a leak free mount the way you have it set up now.. I only say that because I tried something like that.. It leaked.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Diver944
Pro

Glad to see you've finally broke cover on the car here on Rennlist as well Thom.

I too have the KEP2 and 930 disk and it works fantastically. Jason at Paragon warned me there would be problems if the endplay on my crank was excessive, but as my engine was new and my builder assures me there is less than 0.2mm then we went ahead with it. Knowing the attention that Thom has paid with his build, I am sure he will not have problems either
Old 08-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Tom,
Thanks, for now driving it feels just ok, the weather is so damn hot here I'd rather not drive it until Autumn is back. The engine and I will both feel better when it's tuned and totally broken in.
We naturally sealed the whole surface. We may be French but we are not that stupid
Oops, hope I didn't offend. It was a "just in case" comment.

My motor felt "just ok" too while I was breaking it in, but once I dialed in the tune and turned up the boost, it exceeded my hopes by a long shot. You're going to love it.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

95ONE,
As one might notice from the pics it's not a full Garrett turbo, it's a hybrid with a Garrett-based cold side and a reworked KKK hotside, custom trim and a center cartridge featuring ball bearings. I ignore if the cartridge is a generic part from somewhere or if it's an exclusive SPS part, but the turbo was a direct fit on the mount, bar the screw shown on picture that led us to slightly machine the mount. This turbo was more expensive than the ones you can find from most other vendors but when I received it I felt like it was worth a fair bit more than what I paid for it. Simon Peckham at SPS has done a great job as the turbo makes the engine deliver its power exactly the way I wanted.
In fact I think the turbo is the only really interesting part of this engine, all the others are more or less commonly available parts, or at least can be found with a bit of effort.

Paul, thanks again for the compliment.
Jason also warned me there may be a clearance issue with this clutch set up but he said it would be ok with a rebuilt engine with new bearings. My friend Sly had been running this set up troublefree since we built his engine last year so I was pretty sure it was also going to work fine on mine.

Tom, no offence taken, I was just kidding
By the way, thank you for telling me several months ago the figures you used to torque the head. I used the same ones and so far have not had any problem. Really, if it weren't for the Rennlist community and the wealth of knowledge shared all these parts would certainly still be lying somewhere at the back of a garage.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:24 PM
95ONE
Race Car

95ONE,
it's a hybrid with a Garrett-based cold side and a reworked KKK hotside, custom trim and a center cartridge featuring ball bearings.
In fact I think the turbo is the only really interesting part of this engine, all the others are more or less commonly available parts, or at least can be found with a bit of effort.
:
ah.. regular cartridge with ball bearings. .. I get it. thanks.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Very nice build. Almost looks stock under the hood. I wish mine came out so nice.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:57 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Will certainly have a look into it in the next months.
The 3.8 bar FPR is an interesting idea but I am not sure it will work with the set up from Vitesse?
Don't know but if you need any endorsement, that is what they did with the factory 968 turbo S .
Good luck.
Raj
Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

How do you like the motor mounts you put in? I used the same on mine and I can feel a lot more vibration. Do you experience that too?

Quick Reply: Et voilà... another 3.0 8V hits the road