Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Inconsistent boost problem??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:38 PM
robinsonracing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inconsistent boost problem??

Can a failing wastegate have something to do with inconsistent boost?? I have checked for boost leaks and came up zero. Sometimes while on track it hits 15 and others is like 12-13lbs. I have the Vitesse map sensor installed and it runs like a horse with the reins pulled back as opposed to running just 3 weeks ago like perfect. Other ideas to check? Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 06:42 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

WG or boost controller. If neither, start looking at the exhaust, but at this stage it's a low probability. Of course pressure testing the system and checking the BOV are common first aid procedures.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM
robinsonracing
Racer

Boost controller is black ****, can it fail?? I have pressure tested the system as in the past but came up with nothing. History---- I installed vitesse kit and ran good but seemed like it should have more. Then found a small leak in the line to the KLR and everything was great. Ran 1 insane track day(the fest) and then parked it. Two weeks later pulled it out of the garage and went to the track and it had boost inconsistent and ran kind of like it did before I found the last boost leak but now I can't find any leaks. Wastegate is a Lindsey dual port.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 PM
robinsonracing
Racer

Originally Posted by fast951
WG or boost controller. If neither, start looking at the exhaust, but at this stage it's a low probability. Of course pressure testing the system and checking the BOV are common first aid procedures.
The BOV is a billet style. So check for exhaust leaks before the wastegate, after or both???? Thanks John
Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

between the manifold and turbo and the flnges on the WG. The black could fail but not likely, have you tried adjusting it when you're not getting much boost?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
robinsonracing
Racer

Originally Posted by badcoupe
between the manifold and turbo and the flnges on the WG. The black could fail but not likely, have you tried adjusting it when you're not getting much boost?
Yes I increased the pressure by turning up the **** but I don't remember if it held.( I don't think it stayed at 15 very long if I recall). Thanks, I'll check for exhaust leaks tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Inconsistent boost problem??