Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Knock counting

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wouldn't the dyno charts allow for a better understanding/interpedation of what's going on? I don't mind spending a $100 to get it right the first time if that's what it takes.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Dyno won't show the knocking... if the exercise is to get rid of knock teh dyno chart won't help...all it will do is give the dyno opperator an idea of what needs to happen to your timing and / or fuel... but chances are they won't be able to change them for you, the chip companies have been doing this for a while, and can go off your current maps and a description of your needs and make the changes based on experience...

a trip to the dyno would give you a before and after chip shot though... AND Russel Berry does offer on his site to travel to you for a tuning session if needed, but he says it wont be cheap....
Old 08-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Ok, thanks for the advice.

BTW - I'm assuming you have some way of recording any knock?? Have you recorded them? What are you getting?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:23 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
Ok, thanks for the advice.

BTW - I'm assuming you have some way of recording any knock?? Have you recorded them? What are you getting?
Before I tore my engine apart for a turbo rebuild I was seeing 1 knock on 5th gear hard pull at 15 PSI, I got to there by retarding the timing... but the turbo was giving me 5psi fluctuations and blowing oil into my intake so I pulled it all apart to rebuild the turbo, Venturi delete, TB rebuild, all new temp sensors, newsed coolant tank, etc..etc..etc

12 ish AFR on 93 pump gas ay WOT, Scivision MAF, Zietronix WBO2, MAP, EGT, TPS and MAF voltage monitored with a curtis knock counter that I am modifying to be able to reset and added a backlight so I can see it at night...

Quick Reply: Knock counting