Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Hood Vent

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:46 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no relationship to this company and dont have any myself (I am thinking of buying some) but have a look at these. This is an elegant solution.

http://www.deutschnine.com/mm5/merch...-aero-dynamics

-Dana
Old 09-20-2009, 04:57 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

I started a similar project a while ago and have never finished it.

http://s755.photobucket.com/albums/x...rrent=hood.jpg

I am basing the shape on the 968 vent. I think to finish this, I will get something like an EVO vent and put it in.

MY original thought with this wasnt underhood temperatures. On the 968 vent, it has the front lip that is raised at the front of the opening. This creates turbulence and air flowing over this should have a slight lower pressure (vacuum) at speed thereby increasing flow through the intercooler. MY thought was to lower temps of the air cooled by the intercooler.

I really like the vents above the turbo and exhaust.

When I was young my father had one of these:

If you look at the hood it has a factory hood vent for the turbo. I always remember seeing that car in the winter. All around the hood vent snow/ice would be melted and the hood clear in that area. Watch in mirage that would come off the hood and how ice/frost/snow would melt showed that they were quite effective.

-Dana
Old 04-25-2024, 08:15 PM
944geek
8th Gear

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
It may sound like aero geeky talk but i like the vents over strut only concept ..
for these 3 reasons .
1 less effect on the any down force the bonnet and windscreen rake might generate.
2 cools more on the engine bay takes a bit of header heat out ..
3 less drag as the thinner hotter air has less drag on the a pillar and side windows
4 styling i think its easier to get it looking right you could perhaps intergrate the crease in the bonnet ..
The closer you get to the place where the windscreen joins the bonnet (hood) the higher the pressure and the less effective they will be. That is why the ac/interior fan is located in the cavity in front of the windscreen. You want the vents roughly in line with the shock towers if a little forward.
Here is the aero plot in colour. You want your vents in the blue area on the bonnet (hood) when velocity has increased and pressure has decreased over a short distance across the slightly curved surface between higher pressure areas..

Quick Reply: New Hood Vent