Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wastegate Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:04 PM
seattle951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate Upgrade

My mechanic just changed out a LR dual port wastegate from 5 years ago with a Tial 38mm.

I have an AEM electronic boost controller on the car. With the old wastegate, boost was constantly fluctuating (spiking) and topping out at 17 psi with current settings. After the upgrade, boost levels are stable and top out 15.5 psi. The missing 1.5 PSI of boost is noticable. However, to increase the lifespan of the motor, I plan to stay at 15.5 psi. (More power than I need anyway.)

Was the LR unit that I replaced worn-out (5+ years) or is the Tial unit better designed?

After I get the smogged in August, I plan to install a JME camshaft and stiffer valve springs. (The cam and springs have been sitting in my garage for 8 months.) I will do a dyno tuning session at that point. I am assuming more stable boost will allow a more accurate tune, correct?
Old 07-10-2009, 06:15 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I would say the tialis judt better, lindsey redoes the top but the valve and body design are still old engineering.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:39 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whether it was worn out or not is something that you could assess under boost. If you note the boost remains stable at whatever boost level you have set then your wastegate is doing its job.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 PM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by OZ951
Whether it was worn out or not is something that you could assess under boost. If you note the boost remains stable at whatever boost level you have set then your wastegate is doing its job.
The spiking appears to be gone all together. I am surprised that the total boost is now less since the EBC settings are the same. Maybe the EBC was attempting to manage the spikes but was unable to react quick enough allowing boost to climb?

I am still curious about if this was design issue or that the LR unit had simply worn out. Regardless, the system is substantially more stable now.

I am looking forward to the new cam and tuning session. It would be nice to get 340 RWHP on a Mustang dyno, with a semi flat TQ curve, at 15.5 psi on 92 octane pump gas.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:55 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the EBC set too? if it is set to 15.5 it is doing it's job and the LR unit was toast... if it is set to 17 and the new WG is only allowing it to reach 15.5 you have another problem...
Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

I thought you were running apex'i avcr-r EBC....?
Old 07-11-2009, 12:30 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am running an AEM. More than likely there wasn't a problem with the LR WG - it was probably the incorrect settings in your TruBoost. I have noticed that if the spring setting is too high, the car surges under boost. Too low and it bucks. It takes a while to get everything dialed in and working correctly.

As for the old technology of TiAL -vs- the LR, I say it's bull****. They both use a kevlar reinforced diaphragm, they both use a stainless spring and they both have aluminum actuators. LR uses a ceramic guide while the TiAL uses a stainless one. I believe boost is on the face of the valve with the TiAL where it is on the backside of the valve with the LR. The valve on the LR could lift and bleed off pressure at high boost, but the dual port should keep it from doing that (as long as it's hooked up correctly).

TiAL is just as old of technology as the LR unit. If you want newer technology, then look at Synapse.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:36 AM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by jasonlp
I thought you were running apex'i avcr-r EBC....?
I gave you bad information. When you asked it sounded familar. I am actually considering this unit because I like the display. The unit I have now is hard to read and adjust.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:39 AM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
What is the EBC set too? if it is set to 15.5 it is doing it's job and the LR unit was toast... if it is set to 17 and the new WG is only allowing it to reach 15.5 you have another problem...
The Tech on the dyno adjusted the unit last time. It was a cludgy process and he had to follow the instruction book. If I am not mistaken, you don't set the boost level by psi. Some other metric is set that correlates to boost level.

My theory is that the different mechanics of the Tial working against this metric translates to different boost. I will dig out the instruction manual this afternoon to get a refresher on how the unit works.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:43 AM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by CurtP
I am running an AEM. More than likely there wasn't a problem with the LR WG - it was probably the incorrect settings in your TruBoost. I have noticed that if the spring setting is too high, the car surges under boost. Too low and it bucks. It takes a while to get everything dialed in and working correctly.

As for the old technology of TiAL -vs- the LR, I say it's bull****. They both use a kevlar reinforced diaphragm, they both use a stainless spring and they both have aluminum actuators. LR uses a ceramic guide while the TiAL uses a stainless one. I believe boost is on the face of the valve with the TiAL where it is on the backside of the valve with the LR. The valve on the LR could lift and bleed off pressure at high boost, but the dual port should keep it from doing that (as long as it's hooked up correctly).

TiAL is just as old of technology as the LR unit. If you want newer technology, then look at Synapse.
The mechanic replaced the wastegate without touching the boost controller. Are you refering to springs in the wastegate?

The car did not surge or buck before or after. My conscern was the apparent spiking while watching the guage. This is gone now.

I wish I had know about Synapse before purchasing the Tial. I would have liked to have tried the latest and greatest.

Last edited by seattle951; 07-11-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seattle951
The mechanic replaced the EBC without touching the boost controller. Are you refering to springs in the wastegate?

The car did not surge or buck before or after. My conscern was the apparent spiking while watching the guage. This is gone now.

I wish I had know about Synapse before purchasing the Tial. I would have liked to have tried the latest and greatest.
EBC is the same as the controller... do you mean he replaced the wastegate without touching the EBC (electronic boost controller). I am also looking into WG upgrades, and while the Synapse is advertised as newer tech the smallest one is almost twice the size of the smallest Tial... and is still bigger than the biggest Tial.. just my 2C...
Old 07-11-2009, 12:14 PM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
EBC is the same as the controller... do you mean he replaced the wastegate without touching the EBC (electronic boost controller). I am also looking into WG upgrades, and while the Synapse is advertised as newer tech the smallest one is almost twice the size of the smallest Tial... and is still bigger than the biggest Tial.. just my 2C...
Typo - wastegate, not EBC. Original message fixed.

Quick Reply: Wastegate Upgrade