Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Monticello Motor Club splitter cam track video

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Monticello Motor Club splitter cam track video

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to drive Monticello Motor Club yesterday on the full course. It was open track all day, at least until the monsoon hit around 2:30pm. At 3.7 miles, the 22 turns keep you extremely busy. There's a 3/4 mile straight with a kink, some second gear turns (which seemed very hard on the car), and a couple turn complexes that test your patience. Lot's of elevation changes and some blind entries.

The track is super smooth, curbing is enough but not too tall (although not extended enough at track out on several turns IMO), pit in & out are well placed. Like MidOhio, it favors cars with LSD. I was getting lots of wheel spin with my open diff. It's a work in progress having just opened last summer, but a very nice facility so far.

If you get the opportunity to drive it, don't hesitate!

Anyway, here's a little video clip to give you a taste of the track. Turn your speakers DOWN, the sound sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT91YmJl0bE
Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Good description, Jim. It is a neat track - certainly the most complex and technical in our area. Sure it's missing decades of exotic racing history, but that's OK.

I'm on a dial-up connection, but I'll watch the video when I get home.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:03 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

What camera setup do you have, Jim?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:38 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That looks like a great track. Lot's of fun sections!
I really like the camera location, very cool video.
I have a GoPro myself, I must try that location sometime. Any pic of the mounting?
Did you run the sound in "LO" mode and used the rubber sealing ring for the camera box?

Oh and Van, dial-up??? I thought that was discontinued years ago
Old 07-02-2009, 05:39 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Man what a great looking track. That would take it out of you over many laps, especially in a race where you were trying to keep people behind you. 'Jealous icon here'

I wonder if some electronics whiz couldn't open up the Go-Pro and wire up a mic jack to plug in a remote mike somewhere else? Apart from the sound, the Go-Pros are great value for money.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

You were there too?!?
Next time I need to carry around a big sign "whats your screen name?" so I will know who you guys are!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
What camera setup do you have, Jim?
GoPro, non wide angle. I wish we had had more time to chat. It was such a busy day trying to get everything crammed in before the weather hit, we hardly had time to talk.

Originally Posted by Duke
That looks like a great track. Lot's of fun sections!
I really like the camera location, very cool video.
I have a GoPro myself, I must try that location sometime. Any pic of the mounting?
Did you run the sound in "LO" mode and used the rubber sealing ring for the camera box?
I mounted it using one of the stick-on mounts on top of the splitter, smack dab in the middle (which is why it looks like I am 3' off every apex). I 'thought' I changed the setting to LO mode, and the rubber sealing ring is on the camera box.
Originally Posted by 333pg333
Man what a great looking track. That would take it out of you over many laps, especially in a race where you were trying to keep people behind you. 'Jealous icon here'
I was only out on track for 4 sessions, maybe 2 hours total. I was pretty drained afterwards. That is one of the only tracks where I would have preferred power steering.
Originally Posted by Chris White
You were there too?!?
Next time I need to carry around a big sign "whats your screen name?" so I will know who you guys are!
Dude. Seriously? We had dinner together Monday evening, I sat two seats to your left. I thought you remembered me from when you rebuilt a 8v head for me last summer. Either you're getting forgetful in your old age, or I don't leave a very memorable impression.

Last edited by shiners780; 07-02-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

some earlier in car at Monticello Motor Club
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZbpTfRmPVM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UejTK-DFOiM

Last edited by Gofishracing; 07-02-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
Oh and Van, dial-up??? I thought that was discontinued years ago
I was on a train with a cellular air card... it's not too bad, but too slow to stream video.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I wonder if some electronics whiz couldn't open up the Go-Pro and wire up a mic jack to plug in a remote mike somewhere else? Apart from the sound, the Go-Pros are great value for money.
I would just be happy figuring out how to hard wire it up to save batteries - I get about 40 minutes out 2 Energizer Lithiums AAAs that cost $6.50!!

As long as we're all contributing video, here's mine from May: (Tuesday I accidentally had the camera on "still shot" mode - so I have 1 picture in the pits, and by the time I came back in, the batteries were dead)

BTW, that's the GoPro wide angle with the sound on low, mounted to the header panel by the emblem.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by shiners780

Dude. Seriously? We had dinner together Monday evening, I sat two seats to your left. I thought you remembered me from when you rebuilt a 8v head for me last summer. Either you're getting forgetful in your old age, or I don't leave a very memorable impression.
Oh yeah, see...I know that Jim, but I never connected that with the screen name "shiners780" before...duh!

Screen names give me some sort of mental block - which explains my screen name!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, see...I know that Jim, but I never connected that with the screen name "shiners780" before...duh!

Screen names give me some sort of mental block - which explains my screen name!!!
LOL.

So, since you were sharing Brian's car, was that you or Brian that spun in the Hairpin right in front of me? Not sure if I video taped that session, I'll have to check.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

LOL.

So, since you were sharing Brian's car, was that you or Brian that spun in the Hairpin right in front of me? Not sure if I video taped that session, I'll have to check.
That was Brian - but I was in the passenger seat helping!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

That was Brian - but I was in the passenger seat helping!
Well done!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Well done!
That was a hell of a sharp corner for the 928 - lots of torque and no LSD!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:09 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

I've always felt in car cameras fail to show the speed. Man, does that cam down on the deck fix that problem! NICE!! I can't wait to try that... track AND camera position!

Quick Reply: Monticello Motor Club splitter cam track video