Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Starter completley dead, coincedence or not.. =)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Starter completley dead, coincedence or not.. =)

Just finished replacing the clutch and having some starter issues right now. Here is some backstory,

Finished clutch and started car, starts up no problem as it always had. Let run about 25-30 seconds and saw i forgot i had left throttle cable disconnected, so i shut car off. Reconnect cable and attempt to restart the car. Starter engages and turns engine over maybe once, then completley dies. Not sure what happened, so i attempt restart. Fuel pump hums, all gauges work as they should, just the starter is completley dead. Keep trying it for a few seconds and maybe 30 seconds later it fires up again.

I restarted car this morning drove to my friends place and shut car off. Started again, drove about 10 miles and went home. 3 hours later attempted to restart car and same problem, starter completley dead though everything else seems fine. I am betting if i pop started the car it would fire right up.

Does this just sound like the starter died coincidentally? I have not checked the wiring going to the starter yet, but i am almost 100% sure everything was nice and tight when i put it back on. Also ground straps i am also fairly sure are fine on the bellhousing. Will check the wiring tomorrow morning, but dont think its that. I had this same exact problem last summer which turned out to be a bad ignition switch.. i highly doubt this switch went bad also. Does this just sound like the starter died on me? It did not receive any impacts during removal or install..so beats me. Maybe just a strange coincidence.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear they do that. Some people recommend hitting it with a hammer to get them started again.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Its funny because i was doing that when my ignition switch went bad. I removed the starter only to find a nice sticker on it that says 'do not strike with hammer'... . I bench tested the starter and it was fine.. so knew immediately it was the ignition switch. I just find it so hard to believe the starter goes bad 3 starts after i put it back in after a clutch job. The Porsche Gods have a sick sense of humor.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

i would check the wires, then pull the starter and bench test it or take it to pepboys and have them test it
Old 06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Checked all the wiring and everything checks out. Reattached everything and magically it starts again. Beats me.. . Probably a loose connection or something. I am still in delirium over 23 hours spent under the damn thing..
Old 06-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Does the starter make the "click" of the solenoid? If not, it might be that switch again.

If it does, then I'd say it's the starter.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I had a similar thing happen on my old 83. All electrics were fine but starting was intermittent but no clicking or weak starting, just dead. Mine turned out to be the small solenoid mounting bolts to the case were loose and resulting in a poor ground. Tightened them up and never had another problem.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I took the wiring off earlier and noticed the small 12v ignition lead to the solenoid stud nut was was loose. Not the one that sandwiches the eyelet to the stud, but the one between the stud and the solenoid itself. My guess a locknut for the stud. I tightened that up and put the 12v lead back on. Just went to get gas and closed my eyes to pray the car would start and it did... . I am still scared to restart the car away from home, so letting it sit for about an hour and will try it again.

I find it hard to believe that was the problem, but who knows..stranger things have happened with this car.

And the starter was completley dead, no click, no whirring.

Coincidentally, i think i am getting the EMF interference to the now unshielded reference sensor. I swapped in an early style bracket during the clutch job (broke the late style one with aluminum shielding sleeve) and noticed the car 'hiccups' a little on startup. Think i may have to buy that updated bracket and swap them out again.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:46 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

solenoid might be hanging on a bad spot.

95sl320 dd
Old 06-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

if ur worried about the starter at least u can push start the car to get home
Old 06-24-2009, 02:49 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Haha yea.. had to go through that last summer when the ignition switch went. I was in a tiny parking lot and the ignition switch finally gave up the ghost completley. I called my friend who came down to help me pop start the car. The only way to push the car was on a slight uphill gradient and it was a pretty short amount of space before the end of the lot. We pushed the car out of the spot and lined it up. We looked at each other and both were thinking the same exact thing before i said "this is some back to the future ****...". I helped him get the car rolling then hopped in the drivers seat dukes of hazard style. He managed to get me rolling fast enough it started right up once i dumped it in 2nd gear. That is always one of those good stories we bring up over a beer.

BTW, have done a few trips now and started every time. Think the problem was just that loose locknut on the stud.

Still need to fix the speed / ref sensor bracket issue tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:01 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the starter to be about the easiest freaking thing to replace on these cars. It just might be as easy as removing a wheel.

Quick Reply: Starter completley dead, coincedence or not.. =)