944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WTB: '88-'89 951 'S' - have cash will travel

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009 | 10:42 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you've found the perfect car for you! Congratulations.

Now, post pictures!
Old 06-20-2009 | 02:36 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Bang, Omni. Match made. Sounds like you chose wisely.

As often shared here, development of the 951/968, both by the factory from 86 to 94 and by the aftermarket since then, gives plenty of options for upgrades. There are few cars on the planet that can offer the same "go per dollar". Sounds like your buy is well featured and thoughtfully modded. If you get into the car and feel the need, it lacks only some macho front brakes and a cooled, hardened tranny to BE an S....nothing a couple more bucks and little wrenching couldn't change. Trust me, if you end up thinking you need that, you will very likely be getting your money's worth out of your new ride at your friendly neighborhood motorsports facility.

Pix, man, pix.
Old 06-20-2009 | 04:27 AM
Mike951
Drifting

I have an 88 Turbo S... 6x,xxx Miles. (I think 64? have to check) Alpine white on tan. Car is garage kept and mint. Located in central jew jersey.

Give me a call at 908 489 7865 and we can work out a price. If you search threads on my name you should be able to find a for sale thread with many pictures.
Old 06-20-2009 | 10:03 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Any local guys will probably recognize it, I guess he had it sitting out at Autobahn for a few days during a local DE event trying to sell it there with no luck. From what I gather, he's an Autobahn member, seems like he is there a LOT.

Here's a few shots of the car:

Old 06-20-2009 | 10:08 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

You got something to work with here, Omni. As the avatar to left reveals, I'm good with the color palette
Old 06-20-2009 | 10:12 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TheRealLefty
Bang, Omni. Match made. Sounds like you chose wisely.

As often shared here, development of the 951/968, both by the factory from 86 to 94 and by the aftermarket since then, gives plenty of options for upgrades. There are few cars on the planet that can offer the same "go per dollar". Sounds like your buy is well featured and thoughtfully modded. If you get into the car and feel the need, it lacks only some macho front brakes and a cooled, hardened tranny to BE an S....nothing a couple more bucks and little wrenching couldn't change. Trust me, if you end up thinking you need that, you will very likely be getting your money's worth out of your new ride at your friendly neighborhood motorsports facility.

Pix, man, pix.
Yeah I think part of that is what excites me. I'm usually the guy who buys a stock car, modifies the bejeebers out of it, then sells it at a loss. I generally don't like to buy a car that's already "done" - half the fun is the tinkering and customizing. But this car has a lot of the UN-fun stuff done (motor, trans, etc., all the stuff that's a major pain to do without a lift) and leaves me to still be able to tinker and add... like, perhaps, the later model offset front suspension bits (which Matt @ Midwest was pretty adamant was a better suspension), bigger brakes, maybe a K26/8 turbo (so I'll *sorta* have an 'S'), and lord knows what else I can come up with (that my wife will probably threaten divorce over!)

I'm excited. Bank gave me grief about pulling cash out (I guess they don't like to give out more than ~$5k in cash in one day), so I have to wait until next week to get the rest of the money together. Which works out, I need to use this weekend to clean out the 3rd garage stall anyways so I have a place to put it.
Old 06-20-2009 | 10:39 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Matt's probably right about late offset front underpinnings. Advantages are numerous.

In addition to the obvious ease of brake, strut and wheel upgrades, there are track width issues, too. 944s respond very well to extra 1/2 inch (10 mm or so) wider track on each side in the front, but respond very poorly to changes that move the imaginary line made by the strut to the ground too far inside the tire patch...as happens with wide spacers often needed to use modern wheels and larger brakes on early offset cars.

Having tried several different set ups on my 86 NA racer with early offset, nothing works as well for it as four 15x8 Fuchs (10.2 mm offset) with 225/45/15 Hoosiers. Totally symmetrical on an 86, very light and about an inch less in diameter than OE.

Turbos are different handling animals obviously with much more dynamic transitions from understeer to oversteer and different weight distribution. Pretty rich fountain of knowledge among Rennlisters on 951 road race set ups.

Quick Reply: WTB: '88-'89 951 'S' - have cash will travel