944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Limited slip differential

Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with shimming up the diff super tight is that you get good trail brake characteristics... but you get push under throttle. And these cars push at the limit anyway... so it just makes it worse.

With the 50/80 diff.... you get the best of both worlds.... great trail braking without the diff induced push. Plus it's WAY stronger than any factory 951 diff.

These 50/80 diffs definitely make a difference in lap times.

TonyG
Old 06-19-2009, 12:30 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Check out the most recent issue of Excellence. There is an article on how to install a Guards LSD in a 944 trans.Nothing crazy in terms of tools needed.. seems like a very reasonable job to do.
Anyone willing to scan that in?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:12 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
AOR transaxles also have harder first and second gears.
I have heard that but never quite understood what "harder" meant. Could you not just cryo first and second and achieve the same result for little $'s ?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:40 PM
bdesai7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys don't think I should buy the torque biasing differential from guard? It is MUCH cheaper than the LSD (1350 vs 2300), and may be ok for my daily driven application (mostly street car with a few track days).

Any thoughts?

And please do scan in that article from Excellence, thanks.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:00 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I found an LSD NA transmission that the seller was unaware of the goodies inside so I got the whole think for a couple hundred dollars shipped. I originally put the whole tranny in but it was kind of beat (unknown miles) so ultimately I removed the LSD, rebuilt it (the parts are surprisingly not very expensive) and put it back in my other transmission. It is PERFECT for autocross and it was nice at VIR S too. I still got some squirming in the braking zone for the straight but that was probably due to the pavement as much as anything.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:23 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bdesai7
You guys don't think I should buy the torque biasing differential from guard? It is MUCH cheaper than the LSD (1350 vs 2300), and may be ok for my daily driven application (mostly street car with a few track days).

Any thoughts?

And please do scan in that article from Excellence, thanks.

The torque biasing is the worst differential you could install for track use as it acts like an open differential under braking.

TonyG
Old 06-19-2009, 03:28 PM
bdesai7
Instructor

I never really understood what benefit there is to having an LSD and having the rear tires rotate at the same speed during braking. The front brakes work independently and are used even more than the rear ones aren't they? They are not affected by not having a front lsd because the car isn't front wheel drive, but they still work fine.

Can someone please explain to me what difference there is between braking with or without an LSD??
Old 06-19-2009, 04:31 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Check out the most recent issue of Excellence. There is an article on how to install a Guards LSD in a 944 trans.Nothing crazy in terms of tools needed.. seems like a very reasonable job to do.
tried getting hold of it here in norway, seems like anogo, anyone got a sccan?
Old 06-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Please PM me and i will send you the scan. I have not done it yet, but will in a day or two when i get a chance.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:42 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

it would make sense that with an lsd with a little lock on trailing throttle may be less likey to lock an inside wheel when going deep under brakes...
for it to be affective it requires some engine braking so i would imagine tony with his big hi comp engine should see double the effect the rest of us would ..
trailing dif lock seems to be more popular the more wieght a car has in the rear ...
so it seems more popular in trands axle cars than front grear boxe cars
and more popular again 911's ..
Old 06-20-2009, 05:18 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Locking the rear end under hard braking keeps the back end straight - w/ an open diff, you can get a lot a tail wagging which really unsettles the car. A lot of neg rear camber helps, but the best way to stabilize straight line braking to to increase rear diff lock.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 PM
black951
Advanced

i installed a turbo s lsd in my open diff box. rebuilding and shimming the lsd is pretty easy. i made mine slightly stiffer than stock- its a street car. the hard part is installing the differential in the trans. i used new differential bearings. these require re-shimming the differential. lots of installing and removing. i had to build my own special tools and dial indicator adaptors- it took me two weeks to get the job done. i have typical DIY skills. i i had to do it again- i would just reuse the open diff bearings on the new lsd. I dont think there would be any reason to re shim the differential- assuming the differential is the same size. the factory turbo manuals show how to do this whole procedure. i might have to do this again soon- i think the rennlister who sold me the trans lied about the mileage- the trans is super noisy. their is no metal in the oil- its just loud! we'll see how long it lasts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Limited slip differential