Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Burnt valve (and head)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:18 AM
redrow951
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnt valve (and head)

So after 13 years of turbo ownership, I have joined the ranks of those with catastrophic engine failure. Luckily this failure is not so bad. I had been running the engine lean for at least 3 track days due to over boost (~14psi peaks), before I corrected the problem. I ran two more track days and then toasted the #3 exhaust valve (see photo). This car is running stock chips and at the time of the failure stock boost controlled by the cycling valve. I did discover the small plastic vacuum line from the TB to the thermo valve was melted closed in the middle.

Before the tare down the compressions were 145 - 120 - 0 - 145. So there is also an issue on #2, but I have not removed the valves to inspect. The event also damaged the #3 valve guide cast boss that protrudes through the port liner (see 2nd photo)

The big question is can this head be saved or should I be looking for a new/used one?

Thanks for any help.

J
Attached Images   

Last edited by redrow951; 06-17-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch. Looks like it's time to look for another head, would take an amazing shop I would think to get in there and fix it right.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:48 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I just went through the exact same scenerio. #3 at zero and #2 low. My exhaust valve was brurned it two seperate areas however.
It's tough to see the extent of the damage to your guide area in that photo. I ended up getting an exchage head from Markus Blaszak for mine. Perhaps a local shop in your area can do the same and then they can repair the guide area before they rebuild it for someone else. Also, I believe VOoDOoGTX had at least one, if not two used turbo heads available. Food for thought. It's not a fast or easy fix, but the engine runs great now and I am very happy with it.
I will be posting a few pics of my repair soon. Good luck!

Last edited by OntarioTurbo; 06-17-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added text.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey944
Ouch. Looks like it's time to look for another head, would take an amazing shop I would think to get in there and fix it right.
Not really - just replace the valve guides - and you should do that while the heads apart anyway...

PS - welcome to the melted valve club!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:45 PM
redrow951
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Not really - just replace the valve guides - and you should do that while the heads apart anyway...

PS - welcome to the melted valve club!
So, there is no need to repair the damage to the casting in the port? If repairing this head I will replace all 8 guides, all 4 exhaust valves, seats re-cut. The head has been reworked once before (about 10 yrs ago) with a light cut. The valve free lengths are ~13.5mm measured per the workshop manual.

Not so happy to be in the club, but thanks for the company

J
Old 06-17-2009, 02:11 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with Chris. In fact, the exchange head I put on had a little chunk of aluminum missing by one of the guides in #4. The guide is still firmly in place and I'm sure wont cause any heartache. If your other exhaust valves are ok then you can re-use them. Up here one sodium filled exhaust valve goes for $192.00. So re-use them if you can. A proper three angle valve job with hand lapping should be fine.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess from that angle it looked like the head was cracked/split near the guide.... my bad
Old 06-18-2009, 07:50 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Be sure to have the head checked for warpage before you decide what to do. When I burnt my #4 valve, the head warped too much to be machined flat (it had already been machined previously) so it became a boat anchor.

Quick Reply: Burnt valve (and head)