Thinking out loud

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:23 AM
seattle951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
The LS1 transplant is a good solution from most perspectives;
- it fits beautifully. There's far more space in the bay with the LS1 than with the original
- conversion kits are available, so there is no rocket science required
- the cars I know that have had the transplant are dead nuts reliable
- its a dream to drive. Still well balanced, you just need to roll onto the throttle rather than mashing it :-)
The V8 conversion adds about 150 lbs of weight and changes the location of the weight. Wouldn't this affect handling? My guess was that the V6 would weigh less and more of the weight would be over the wheels. This should provide better handling. Another concern is the drivetrain. If you effectively double the HP/TQ from the factory with a V8, how well will the rest of the car stand up? I would like to avoid shattering drivetrain components.

When I modified my current 951 the extra power required lots of upgrades to other components. For example, the car developed squat problems that made it unstable which required new suspension that reduced the quality of the ride. (Not good if you are trying to coax your wife on a PCA club event).

I am talking to Renegade hybrids about putting a Corvette motor in a 928. Their input is that the 928 is a better candidate for the upgrade since it was designed for the V8 and base HP/TQ. I put an offer down on a 928 with a bad motor and I am waiting for the owner to make a decision. If my offer is accepted, I am going to go this route.

Originally Posted by DVC
Absolutely not. Go to Squire's Autowerke in Bellevue and check out Squire's 944 LS1. Don't waste your time on the V6.
Squire was my regular mechanic for my 924S and 928. He had been talking about a V8 conversion but I was not aware that he had done the project. Its been a couple of years I know. Thanks for the tip, I will give him a call and see if I can a test ride and some input.

Quick Reply: Thinking out loud