Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help! rear alignment issue... need to fix this to get to the fest!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! rear alignment issue... need to fix this to get to the fest!

Ok well my car is pretty much done. installing GTS headlights tonight and I was planning on leaving for ohio late tonight.

I tried to get an alignment done earlier, but the guys couldn't figure out how to adjust the rear camber (even though they told me ahead of time they could) and now it's time for me to leave!

Is it possible for me to get my alignment close enough at home that I won't kill my brand new tires?

My plan is to try and find a dealership or shop along the way that can align it for me, so I need to get at least a couple hundred miles.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Did this on MM951's car yesterday.

The camber alignment eccentric bolt is the rear sway bar drop-link bolt.

Jack the car up, loosen the nut on this eccentric and the other 2 bolts near it. Loosen the nut that hold the drop-link on. Then turn the eccentric (and watch what the wheel does). If your car is a little lower than stock, the *minimum* amount of rear camber will be about 1.5 degrees negative.

This will be just fine for your trip to the fest.

If you have the toe alignment tool, you can also play around with that a little bit. The "low tech" way to "measure" it is to bunge-cord something straight (like a 2 foot level) to the face the the wheel so it's horizontal. You can stand behind the car and kind of sight down this "straight edge". You want the fronts of the rear wheels to have a smidgen of toe-in.

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

My car is more than a bit lower than stock.. right now it's sitting with about 5 deg negative on the rear. As long as I can get to about -2 or so that would be fine.

Thanks for the tip
Old 06-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a special cam type tool that you need to adjust the toe in on the rear.

There is a existing cam built in the rear trailing arm that will allow you to adjust the camber. If you have a digital level and a good level floor you could probably get it pretty close.

I believe it's the cam beside the open hole. The open hole is where the tool goes to adjust the toe.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorax
My car is more than a bit lower than stock.
Who's car isn't??

Mikes was at -4 yesterday when he came over (with tires that were corded on the inside). Like I said, we were able to get it back up to -1.5.

In that picture, that bolt is the camber eccentric, but it's the back side. You have to first loosen the 19mm nut (and the 17mm nut on the back side) then turn the eccentric with a large wrench (I have to use a crescent wrench).
Old 06-05-2009, 12:03 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting you have the same issue I was having Ryan...I could not get ANYBODY to align it for me. Everyone made up BS...

FWIW, it took me about 8-10K miles to completely kill my rear tires with my rear camber at ~4 degrees. I also had brand new tires waiting for me, so Van was like f'ing Superman and did a pretty damn good alignment for me. Needless to say, the car drives like a dream compared to before

I'm on my way to the Fest, just taking a night in a hotel about ~160 miles away. Hope you can get there. - You can get an acceptable alignment yourself if you mess around with it. Its pretty amazing how much adjustment there is in it..

Originally Posted by Van
Who's car isn't??

Mikes was at -4 yesterday when he came over (with tires that were corded on the inside). Like I said, we were able to get it back up to -1.5.

In that picture, that bolt is the camber eccentric, but it's the back side. You have to first loosen the 19mm nut (and the 17mm nut on the back side) then turn the eccentric with a large wrench (I have to use a crescent wrench).
Old 06-05-2009, 12:15 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MM951
Interesting you have the same issue I was having Ryan...I could not get ANYBODY to align it for me. Everyone made up BS...

FWIW, it took me about 8-10K miles to completely kill my rear tires with my rear camber at ~4 degrees. I also had brand new tires waiting for me, so Van was like f'ing Superman and did a pretty damn good alignment for me. Needless to say, the car drives like a dream compared to before

I'm on my way to the Fest, just taking a night in a hotel about ~160 miles away. Hope you can get there. - You can get an acceptable alignment yourself if you mess around with it. Its pretty amazing how much adjustment there is in it..

My local sears does mine, $69 and they have all the special tools needed, got them from a PCA racer who got his track aligned on Friday evening, and back to street Monday morning... guy said he did this like clockwork for 5 years... they Adjusted everything on my car in about 2 hrs...
Old 06-05-2009, 04:57 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Here's a helpful picture:
Old 06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Banana, the camber and toe adjustments are reversed in your diagram.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Oh, and it should be mentioned that the ride height one only works with the torsion bars - not with coil overs.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

not my photo, got it off the forum here somewhere, good to know though!

didnt see the coilover part, woops

Quick Reply: Help! rear alignment issue... need to fix this to get to the fest!