Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Very Stupid Windshield Wiper Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very Stupid Windshield Wiper Question

Swapped out dead windshield wiper motor on my 89 Turbo today. Wiper assembly came out with minimal wrestling. Salvage replacement assembly had a bad thread on the passenger side wiper arm socket, so I swapped the salvage motor back on to my 89 bracket.

Now I'm ready to put the assembly back in, but realize that I moved the armature to remove the motor from the bum bracket and did not mark the alignment between the eccentric arm and the armature before doing so.

Wiper arms control levers are in the the correct resting position, but am I screwed if the motor armature is not aligned as it was before I swapped it in?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:04 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Don't think so... if you apply power, it should move to the "park" position.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:52 AM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

just don't fit the wiper arms/blades until you power up and have the motor at 'park' !!

depending on how dead your original motor was it may be worth removing the cover plate from the gearbox assembly and cleaning the contacts inside. A lot of the time a dead wiper is simply very dirty switch contacts/wipers inside.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good. Advice makes sense. As long as I don't install the wipers until I'm powered up at "park" I should be fine. Once I'm all installed, I will dig into the swapped out motor/gear set and see if the works were gacked rather than the motor/brushes dead.

Quick Reply: Very Stupid Windshield Wiper Question