Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Refinement

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 PM
seattle951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refinement

My 951 focus this summer is going to be on refinement. The car runs great and performance exceeds my needs. However, the car has some annoying characteristics I would like to address. Any advice?

1. Tick at idle: Since I bought the car it misses about once per 5 minutes while idling. It never misses while driving. It has been doing this through 3 engines, a new wiring harness, rebuilt DME and KLR. A new idle control sensor/switch. It has to be something I have not touched. Ideas?

2. Whistle or high pitched whine: When the car hits 5k rpms there is a loud whistle or whine. I have a LR MAF. The whine has been there through 2 MAF upgrads, 3 air filters and 3 BOVs. On the dyno the sound is deafening. While driving it is annoying. I am beginning to think the whistle/whine is not related to airflow in the MAF, maybe power steering pump, belt or alternator. Ideas?

3. Helicopter sound: At low rpms the fuel system sounds like a helicopter with constant thumping sound. I have a high pressure fuel pump and 56lb injectors. I talked to LR and they thought it was a resonance pulse through the fuel system. It does not affect drivability, but is very annoying. Ideas?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:39 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seattle951
My 951 focus this summer is going to be on refinement. The car runs great and performance exceeds my needs. However, the car has some annoying characteristics I would like to address. Any advice?

1. Tick at idle: Since I bought the car it misses about once per 5 minutes while idling. It never misses while driving. It has been doing this through 3 engines, a new wiring harness, rebuilt DME and KLR. A new idle control sensor/switch. It has to be something I have not touched. Ideas?

2. Whistle or high pitched whine: When the car hits 5k rpms there is a loud whistle or whine. I have a LR MAF. The whine has been there through 2 MAF upgrads, 3 air filters and 3 BOVs. On the dyno the sound is deafening. While driving it is annoying. I am beginning to think the whistle/whine is not related to airflow in the MAF, maybe power steering pump, belt or alternator. Ideas?

3. Helicopter sound: At low rpms the fuel system sounds like a helicopter with constant thumping sound. I have a high pressure fuel pump and 56lb injectors. I talked to LR and they thought it was a resonance pulse through the fuel system. It does not affect drivability, but is very annoying. Ideas?
1. I have had the same problem and call it a random miss rather than a tick. Try a different plug and possibly one heat range hotter(stay away from high boost) to check.

2. The timing and balance belts can be very loud if in my experience they are too tight. Otherwise maybe a turbo issue. Power steering pump or alt should be easy enough to isolate with a stethoscope.

3. Do you have a LR fuel rail with dampener on the end? If so try taking the dampener completely off and check sound. also make sure all the steel fuel lines are not touching the body and that the injector body by the bottom orings are not touching the IM as they can be cocked just a bit and then the sound transfers into the manifold.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:31 PM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by dand86951
1. I have had the same problem and call it a random miss rather than a tick. Try a different plug and possibly one heat range hotter(stay away from high boost) to check.

2. The timing and balance belts can be very loud if in my experience they are too tight. Otherwise maybe a turbo issue. Power steering pump or alt should be easy enough to isolate with a stethoscope.

3. Do you have a LR fuel rail with dampener on the end? If so try taking the dampener completely off and check sound. also make sure all the steel fuel lines are not touching the body and that the injector body by the bottom orings are not touching the IM as they can be cocked just a bit and then the sound transfers into the manifold.
1. I have tried 3 different rated plugs in three different engines. No difference.

2. I have gone through 2 turbos with the identical sound. I will ask my mechanic about the belts being too tight.

3. I will give this a try.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Refinement