Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Toast?

Old 05-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine ran lean lean lean and burnt the valve.

The problem with mine was that the line coming off of the intake manifold to the ISV had popped out. Causing the mixture to screw up royally.

And which made it worse, the knock sensor wasnt connected either, causing the knock protection to fail.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock
Mine ran lean lean lean and burnt the valve.

The problem with mine was that the line coming off of the intake manifold to the ISV had popped out. Causing the mixture to screw up royally.

And which made it worse, the knock sensor wasnt connected either, causing the knock protection to fail.
Actually if the ISV line popped off you will run rich under boost – and that will crank up the EGT and cause the burnt valve. Rich mixtures burn slower and create a situation where the mixture is still burning when the exhaust valve opens – bad news for the valve!
A big vacuum leak is kind of counter intuitive – it runs lean under vacuum and rich under boost. The vacuum lean is no or low load so there is not much danger.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Actually if the ISV line popped off you will run rich under boost – and that will crank up the EGT and cause the burnt valve. Rich mixtures burn slower and create a situation where the mixture is still burning when the exhaust valve opens – bad news for the valve!
A big vacuum leak is kind of counter intuitive – it runs lean under vacuum and rich under boost. The vacuum lean is no or low load so there is not much danger.
Hmmm interesting. But youre saying that the valve was most likely burnt by this? A little additional info, the car had a K26/6 with stock chips on 15 psi *i know I was dumb*.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:37 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 951 heads availible and in good shape. let me know if you need one
Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmmm interesting. But youre saying that the valve was most likely burnt by this? A little additional info, the car had a K26/6 with stock chips on 15 psi *i know I was dumb*.
Yep, the combinition over overly rich and the high intake temps casued by running the K26/6 that hard will give you very high EGTs.
Detonation tends to do a lot more physical damage - usually the spark plug electrodes are the first to go.
Once you take it apart you will find the exhaust valve has a pie shaped wedge cut out of it - it looks like it was done with a torch!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No telling what that little pie shaped piece does on its way out of the engine? Or it could just stay put and chew up the cylinder.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

How can you run 15psi boost with "stock" chips?
With stock chips you will hit overboost when running at 15psi (not a 15psi quick spike).

Another variable to examine.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast951
How can you run 15psi boost with "stock" chips?
With stock chips you will hit overboost when running at 15psi (not a 15psi quick spike).

Another variable to examine.
If you remove the KLR vacuum line and run it to a AM boost gauge, wont that allow you to run higher than "overboost point" boost levels?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:41 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
If you remove the KLR vacuum line and run it to a AM boost gauge, wont that allow you to run higher than "overboost point" boost levels?
No, the Boost line to the KLR has nothing to do with overboost!

The KLR has nothing to do with detecting overboost. The DME detects overboost (actually overload) then tells the KLR to do its thing.
In reality, (except with the V-FLEX software) the DME never did read actual boost as in psi/bar. It calculated load, and based on load it determined the status.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Toast?