Finally happened "Failed Smog"

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 03:12 PM
dganapol
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally happened "Failed Smog"

All,

The title says it all. The numbers on the tests were in the passing range, but I failed the visual on the exhaust, modified wiring, and smoke tests. The visual I expected as I have a chrome test pipe with the very small cat, I think I purchased from "Fab speed". The wiring was because of the Scivision maf was not quite stealth enough, and the tail pipe has some visible smoke coming out.

I know I was in trouble when they had two guys going over it for about ½ hour. I passed two years ago with the same setup, but with the new regulations and laws in place it was bound to happen.

Fortunately I saved all of the original pieces and spent one morning putting everything back. When I took it back in it passed, no problem.

The car definitely drives differently and does not have the instant power that the SciVision maf and 3” test pipe gave it. I am just going to leave it stock and not put anything back. California is just getting harder and harder to modify the engine. The smog technicians just do not want to see any extra wiring or plumbing coming off the engine. I had to remove the MBE and all of the extra gauges. I had an EGR led meter with a wire to the O2 sensor, they wanted that removed also. The state even sent me a letter, since I failed the test I should consider selling the car to the state, what I would get, $1.50. The car still runs great. I just need to figure out what to do with the stuff I removed.

David 87 951 burg
Old 05-22-2009, 09:13 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Agreed, California Smog is RIDICULOUS!

The smog guys tend to be so confused by my setup (no distributor, no AFM, ford coilpack, delphi sensors) that they just shut the hood and do the tailpipe test.

If I were you I would put your stuff back on (especially if your chips are intended to work with those parts). Also find a less **** smog place next time!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:07 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the max values on my test a few months ago was 1125, I got 1123. It was sooo close. Funny when the car was stock with autothority chips I scored like 430.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:26 AM
FASTRNU
Pro

Thank God we don't have inspection in WA,just tailpipe test and go.I can pass without cat
Old 05-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Loquat15
Racer

California emissions suck, but you just have to find yourself a lazy smog shop, and one that never works with 944 turbos. jsut be like "that's a stock replacement part!!!!"
Old 05-23-2009, 04:19 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Here in hall county no inspections and no emissions regulations

Suckers!
Old 05-23-2009, 12:02 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Did you go to the same shop as before?

Mine is due in a few months and worry about this each time.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:11 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

an extra 20 or 30 bucks that accidentally falls out of your wallet onto the smog guys desk can make cars pass smog tests from what ive heard...
Old 05-23-2009, 01:43 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

I think you will find that any generic aftermarket cat purchased two years ago will be shot. Many shops considered them one time cats. I found this out with my BMW. The cat was only 2 years old and was fully gutted on the inside last February. New Cali laws require that new cats be vehicle specific and have enough plates to match OE performance.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:30 PM
dganapol
Intermediate

$20 to $30 will get you arrested in California for bribing a technician. $200-$500 will get the car passed:0
Old 05-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Loquat15
Racer

You should seriously think about getting a good cat (not high performance or anything) and a test pipe. Run with the test pipe regularly, and slap the cat pipe on when you have to smog it.

This will save you some money on buying cats every couple years. I've never seen a cop look under a car, but have heard of it happening. We're in Porsche's though, so like they'll bother. Cops tend not to harass Porsches/German cars, they harass the Japanese gang.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I think you will find that any generic aftermarket cat purchased two years ago will be shot. Many shops considered them one time cats. I found this out with my BMW. The cat was only 2 years old and was fully gutted on the inside last February. New Cali laws require that new cats be vehicle specific and have enough plates to match OE performance.
Yeah my cat pipe has two cats that are about 5 years old and it hardly pasted two months ago.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
They don't tend to be too lively after breathing all that exhaust!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:30 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdeano
an extra 20 or 30 bucks that accidentally falls out of your wallet onto the smog guys desk can make cars pass smog tests from what ive heard...
There should be a sticky on CA smog tests that comes up every time there is a "failed smog" thread.

First, the test uploads the tailpipe reads and RPM directly to the state. The smog guy has no discretion over anything except the visual. (This is not trivial - I had a 951 fail a visual with a stock cat; but my point is, the guy can't pass you no matter how much falls out of your wallet.)

Second, we test for NOx in addition to CO and HC, and the test is done on a dyno with the engine under load. The allowable NOx limits are now low enough in the urban areas that a 951 must have a functioning catalytic converter. I don't think there are any smog test tricks that get you under the NOx limit while meeting the others.

That said, passing with a fresh cat is no problem. The aftermarket cats only last a few years, though.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PEvans
There should be a sticky on CA smog tests that comes up every time there is a "failed smog" thread.

First, the test uploads the tailpipe reads and RPM directly to the state. The smog guy has no discretion over anything except the visual. (This is not trivial - I had a 951 fail a visual with a stock cat; but my point is, the guy can't pass you no matter how much falls out of your wallet.)

Second, we test for NOx in addition to CO and HC, and the test is done on a dyno with the engine under load. The allowable NOx limits are now low enough in the urban areas that a 951 must have a functioning catalytic converter. I don't think there are any smog test tricks that get you under the NOx limit while meeting the others.

That said, passing with a fresh cat is no problem. The aftermarket cats only last a few years, though.
so what are the emissions like running e85, maybe you guys could try that?

if you have the capability maybe have a very very lean map, and do your smog on race gas.

Quick Reply: Finally happened "Failed Smog"