Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Summer heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009 | 07:25 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

Default Summer heat

I'm in a predicament, my car is in ohio and I'm in Mississippi till Aug. I'm debating on driving up this long weekend to get it. The situation is it's hot as ***** down here and it just so happens the AC is the only thing that doesn't work on the car and I don't have a garage or car port for it down here. The question is (A) do I leave the 951 in the garage back home and just deal with not driving it for a few months or (B) bring it down and don't worry about my paint getting thrashed by a summer hail storm or my interior melting cause of the heat and just have fun driving it. I also don't have a local shop or any tools to fix a damn thing should something happen down here.
Old 05-20-2009 | 09:06 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

DO you have an R-12 or a R-134a conversion in the car? R-12 you won't be able to get without a 'license' - not to mention it's EXPENSIVE these days, so you'd want to convert it - which means evacuating the AC system. Most home mechanics, myself included, don't have the evacuation pump and recovery set supposedly necessary to do the job.
Old 05-20-2009 | 09:31 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

It's been converted the compressor is shot though, don't really feel like dropping the money on it when I rarely get to drive the car.
Old 05-20-2009 | 09:36 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default I'd still drive it...

Windows down at speed it'll at least be cooler than standing still. If it were me, I'd be driving it.
Old 05-20-2009 | 09:40 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OUNATE
it's hot as ***** down here

BWAAAAAHHHHHHH! You haven't seen anything yet. Wait till late July when we get 98 degrees with 90% humidity. We're having a cooler than normal May. Ha ha ha ha.

There has to be someone that seen a foreign car before in Starkvegas, LOL. Worse comes to worse put a Camero badge on it and take it to Meineke.

Seriously, get a good windsheild shade for it. Make it oversized and put a towel over the dash before applying the shade. Tint the windows as dark as Starkvegas cops will let you and enjoy. Although you should note that even a good 951 A/C cannot compete with the humidity. If the compressor is shot then find someone with a good used deal and fill it up with 134.
Old 05-20-2009 | 10:31 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

"That one of them furrin' cars? I always wanted to use my metric tools!"
Old 05-20-2009 | 11:07 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

Oh I got the heat last summer down here alright! I fly out at the base in columbus and it's not fun wearing a G-suit, harness, gloves and a helmet in the sun at 2 in the afternoon. Talk about some serious swamp ***!

Do you guys think it's worth buying a cover? the car will rarely sit more then 12 hours maybe a day at the most.
Old 05-21-2009 | 04:39 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

I would leave the car at home and drive a hooptie until you can get everything sorted. Save yourself the pain and aggravation.
Old 05-22-2009 | 01:03 PM
manticore33
Racer

Leave it. Judging by your signature you'll be back in August. Plenty of time to get some seat time in late summer into the cooler fall. Plus, you will not have to risk any damage to your car. (Granville area is just awesome, I love that town.)
Old 05-22-2009 | 11:28 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

Well I think the plan is to take it down there for a month till the 4th then I'm gonna bring it back up. It'll kill some of the boredom of living in rural MS and it'll only be in the elements for not even a month. Watch there will be a big *** hail storm right when I get back down there!
Old 05-23-2009 | 03:08 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
BWAAAAAHHHHHHH! You haven't seen anything yet. Wait till late July when we get 98 degrees with 90% humidity. We're having a cooler than normal May. Ha ha ha ha.

There has to be someone that seen a foreign car before in Starkvegas, LOL. Worse comes to worse put a Camero badge on it and take it to Meineke.

Seriously, get a good windsheild shade for it. Make it oversized and put a towel over the dash before applying the shade. Tint the windows as dark as Starkvegas cops will let you and enjoy. Although you should note that even a good 951 A/C cannot compete with the humidity. If the compressor is shot then find someone with a good used deal and fill it up with 134.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000

Quick Reply: Summer heat