Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Carrying A Fire extinguisher??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:16 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep. I have one. Even if my car doesn't need it, ya never know when there will be an emergency.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:22 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
You need to be specific about which dry chemical fire extinguisher you're discussing when you make comments like this. Not all of them leave a mess. Most people are referring to ammonium phosphate (ABC) extinguishers when they talk about a sticky residue; they're the most common.

Sodium bicarbonate (BC) residue is easy to clean up - usually just compressed air to blow it away. They're dirt cheap too, so there really isn't a reason not to have one on board. The down side is that you may have a difficult time finding them locally.

Halotron isn't nearly as effective at putting out fires as halon, and a 2.5# bottle really isn't big enough. I always recommend a minimum of 3# for sodium bicarbonate, ammonium phosphate or halon with a 5# bottle being the preferred size. I wouldn't carry anything under a 5# halotron (around $200 on the web).
This is helpful. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:37 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that a good fire extinguisher is much cheaper than a fire. I almost had a with fire when my fuel lines started leaking. I got pulled over for a tailight out one time and the state trooper was being a dick about me having a fire extinguisher in my car. I told him that you never know, expecially with these cars.

Quick Reply: Carrying A Fire extinguisher??????