Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Adjustable ride height kit spring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Adjustable ride height kit spring question

I installed the Paragon Adjustable Ride Height Kit over the weekend with the intention of getting my car to sit slightly lower than the stock height, but it is now higher than before. For reference, the car has the M474 package.

As the instructions stated, I started with the spring perches set to mid height and took the car for a spin to settle the suspension. I came back and the front was sitting higher than stock (about 3-4 inches between the fender and the tire). I then lowered the spring perch as low as it will go, and it still sits too high, with about an inch and a half between the fender and the top of the tire.

The install was done correctly, with all parts in place as they should be, so I'm wondering if:

A), The spring perches on my M474 struts sit higher than other Koni struts (not likely). Or

B), The springs I was sent are too long.

I am thinking it might be B. In which case some shorter springs would solve the problem. The springs I was sent are 250lb Hypercoils and are 12" long.

I remember everyone talking about using tender springs to keep the spring seated when lifting the car, but mine are seated and even mildly compressed without tender springs when the car is off the ground and the lower perch is set to the lowest setting.

Thoughts? Is 12" too long for a spring in these coilover kits, or are my struts sporting some high spring perches?

Last edited by Mike Murcia; 05-11-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe mine are 10" springs (300lb)
Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Mike, I ran 12" 250s with my single adjustable Konis. With the car in the air, I probably had at least and inch or two of free movement (no tender springs). That was with my ride height set to ~ 25" from the ground to the fender. IIRC, my perches were threaded down to the point were they were about even with the top of the stock perch (if that makes sense).
Old 05-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Owain
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same setup with the M474 shocks and 250 lb/in (actually, just installed 300's) springs and what you want are the 10" long springs. There's plenty of adjustment then.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the comments, guys. It sounds like shorter springs are commonly used, but there may also be some variation in the spring perch height on the variety of Koni struts out there.

Ben, your note about the threaded perch being equal to the height of the stock perch makes sense. I tried it there to start, but ended up lowering it to the bottom and it's still too high.

I've contacted Paragon about it. We'll see what they say.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Jason at Paragon is sending out some new springs today. It turns out that there is not a single spring height that works for our cars. Sometimes it's 10" and sometimes it's 12".

Thanks, Jason!

Quick Reply: Adjustable ride height kit spring question