Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

xpost: blew a chunk out of my cam tower

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009 | 01:04 AM
MM951
Race Director

Default xpost: blew a chunk out of my cam tower

Just cross posting this as I know some of you guys don't check out the 924/944/968 general forum

So I'm driving home from work this afternoon when I smell oil burning and notice smoke coming out of my hood. Thinking the worst, I grabbed the fire extinguisher and checked it out.

Well, right over the "E" in "Porsche" on the cam tower there is a 2-3finger wide chunk blown out of my cam tower! There doesn't seem to be any damage to the cam lobe that is exposed and I can't think of anything that would get loose in there. Anyone have any ideas on how the hell this happened?

Luckily I have a few spare cam towers, but I am having trouble sourcing a cam tower gasket quickly -autozone no longer has them available and advance auto is a 3+ day wait....kinda a PITA as it is finals week here at school but I'll manage.

anyone have any ideas on what caused this ?

Mike
Old 05-11-2009 | 01:07 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

i have a extra gasket if you want it
Old 05-11-2009 | 11:34 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Usually happens when a bolt gets left inside the cam tower. I have seen at least one at the track where the owner had just removed and replaced the cam tower and one of the bolts was left loose inside the cam tower (accidently). It will eventually get caught up in the cam and pop through the tower.

Check for missing bolts!
Old 05-11-2009 | 01:05 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I have a gasket, if you need, Mike. I won't be home until late tonight - but I'll also be around tuesday morning until about noon.

I agree with Chris... sounds like an errant bolt or nut.
Old 05-11-2009 | 01:48 PM
SSI Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Chris White
Usually happens when a bolt gets left inside the cam tower. I have seen at least one at the track where the owner had just removed and replaced the cam tower and one of the bolts was left loose inside the cam tower (accidently). It will eventually get caught up in the cam and pop through the tower.

Check for missing bolts!
Yup, everytime we've seen one come in with that type of damage it was due to a loose or misplaced bolt.

-Warren
Old 05-11-2009 | 02:51 PM
George D
Drifting

This happened to my about 12 years ago. It was a misplaced bolt that finally found a spring to launch from. It was probably in there for a month.

George
Old 05-11-2009 | 04:50 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Usually happens when a bolt gets left inside the cam tower.
^ +1
Its not that rare, but its always ugly.

Quick Reply: xpost: blew a chunk out of my cam tower