Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951S Track junkies--Brake pad ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Trucho-951
Hawk HT-10's are my favorites, much easier on rotors too.
I've used Blues, HT-10's and now DTC-60's, the last of which seems to be the best so far. The only problem is that they are not cheap.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I've used Blues, HT-10's and now DTC-60's, the last of which seems to be the best so far. The only problem is that they are not cheap.
I'm glad you like the DTC-60's, those were next on my list.

I've been using front pads DTC-70's on my '86 specifically for Thunderhill, which has those two really demanding highspeed braking zones (going into T-10 and into T-14), they stop really really well, and suprisingly are the easiest on rotors. The Ht-10's are not agressive enough for Thunderhill.

However, I tried the DTC-70's at Infineon and it was a disaster, way too much stopping torque and hard to modulate into easy braking zones, e.g. uphill into T-2. The HT-10's are the pads for me at Infineon.

I'm thinking of trying the DTC-60's next, thanks.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I like the Hawks -
Blues for 'real' racing and HP's for DEs.
HP's are easier on the equipment and can be modulated a bit vetter - but the blues will deliver the best fade free stopping power
You can 't use either one on the street without ear plugs.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Chris - try the DTC's, they are better than the blues.

Trucho - I have not tried the 70's, after spending some time on the phone with hawk, we decided that since my car is fairly light and I don't have abs, that the 60's would be the trick.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Chris - try the DTC's, they are better than the blues.

Trucho - I have not tried the 70's, after spending some time on the phone with hawk, we decided that since my car is fairly light and I don't have abs, that the 60's would be the trick.
Yeah, but I like the really nasty grinding noise that makes me envision the rotor materail being machined off as I brake....

I will look into the DTCs. The Blues are dependable...but they aren't perfect!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:05 PM
robinsonracing
Racer

Default Thanks again guys

Thanks again guys.. Alot of useful input..
Brian
Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 PM
AgRosa Brad
Advanced

Default Raybestos pads

I was looking for something last year, and was confused with many using Hawk Blues. Other pads from Hawk and other vendors. I encountered a customer that worked for Hawk. I figured he could sort out all of the various pad designs for me. He recommended that I use a set of Raybestos pads that I got from Porterfield brake. I think the model is ST43 (I can check at home). I was impressed. They do squeal on the street but work well on track with minimal dust (not as corrosive as Blues). However, I have no reference with another track pad as I was using factory Porsche pads previously.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BIG Performance Friction 01 Race pad fan here. Love them. Great feedback and excellent bite when cold. VERY rotor friendly.

C.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

I use KFP Magnum Golds. They work great for me and work at all kinds of temperatures... they just scream at the low end of the thermometer.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JustinL
I use KFP Magnum Golds. They work great for me and work at all kinds of temperatures... they just scream at the low end of the thermometer.
I can vouch for how loud JustinL's KFP Gold are, my ears are still hurting from last year. I have gone through several different sets from Pagid Orange to Yellows and Porterfield's RS4 to PFC 01s and now Hawk HT10s.

Pagid Orange and Porterfield RS4 did not have the ability to withstand track sessions without noticeable fade.

The Pagid yellows were good pads stopping power and fade resistance wise along with good modulation ability which is important on non abs car. They for some reason wound up with cracks across the pad while still having 60-70% thickness so I tried the PFC 01s.

The PFC 01s have more stopping power than the Yellows on my car, however, they are also much harder to modulate and had the bad habit of locking up on initial set. I know, that is my problem, but even knowing they were sensitive with huge amounts of initial bite, I couldn't consistently keep them from locking unexpectedly on my car. They handled a course hard on brakes without fade, except they did seem to be pretty hard on my rotors.

The Hawk HT-10s feel more like the Yellows, good stopping power with very good modulation and control on my non abs car. They haven't created excessive dust and compared to all the others seem to produce slightly less dust. Don't have a verdict yet on rotor wear.

My 86 is a full factory weight car driven on the street. All the above track pads are too loud for the street for me so I swap them out.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I am presently running the Pagid orange with very good stopping power and low fade. I have nothing but good comments about the PFCs and they will probably be my next pad.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've tried all the colors of Pagid and have settled on Yellow for the front and orange for the rear. I really like the feel of this setup and have had no problems with fade. Good wear and not as dusty as blacks and don't have the high initial bite of the blacks. They are very expensive though. Thinking about trying PFC 01 on the front and 97 on the rear since the 97's are about $100 cheaper on the rear. Would like to hear if anyone has compared the two.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
BIG Performance Friction 01 Race pad fan here. Love them. Great feedback and excellent bite when cold. VERY rotor friendly.

C.

+100, Never went back to Pagids, Hawks or Ferodos after using them on a race car. Heck, tehy even are usable on the street car!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I went from a brand called EBC (UK?) and just thought this was how my car braked. I then went to PFC 01's front 97's rear. The difference was like I'd been reborn and had Jesus over for dinner. It was that good. I've still had issues with spongy pedal over the last few seasons (in amongst the downtime) and tried the Pagid Blues. They were Ok but not good enough. I then tried the Pagid Blacks and they're a lot better. I then went to a drilled rotor. They lasted 3 meets. The last meet I had gone back to the PFCs and was expecting great things. Weirdly I ran out of track a few times and when the car got back to the workshop we found the front rotors were littered with cracks.
Questions: Could the cracked rotors have a strong effect on the performance of the PFCs? Why were they so different from the past? They used to have such strong initial bite and just pull the car up superbly, but I lost time on track at that meeting partially due to the lack of bite. I don't get it.
I've gone back to the Pagid Blacks, but also have a new set of front drilled rotors. Waiting on some slotteds to take their place. 3 meetings is not what I'd call economical!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Some pads are very aggressive on the rotors but I can't really see how how a cracked rotor should affect the braking performance so much as you're describing. Hmmm perhaps they were just not bedded in correctly after the last switch? In order for the pads to work correctly they need some material from the pads on the rotors, perhaps the pagid blacks messed that up when you switched back to the 01's?

I got a set of 01's last week, I'm very excited to try them out and see what everyone is raving about

Quick Reply: 951S Track junkies--Brake pad ??