Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Zero Compression on back Cyl.(86 951)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Zero Compression on back Cyl.(86 951)

Just want some opinions and direction here.

Not new to working on cars. This is however my first 951 and I could use a little direction, info on common issues etc. I have searched quite a bit and have not really found what I am looking for.

I picked up a steal on a 951 with the thought of an eventual motor swap of some kind. (long story, probably not chevy, but let's talk about that later)

Had no plans on starting the swap project anytime soon. The car came up for sale and I snagged it. Would like to make it run and enjoy it some in stock form until I am ready to do more.

First thing I did was a compression test. Back cyl is 0 psi. No coolant in the res, and oil looks to have water/coolant in it and clear, but brown.

Sounds like a head gasket to me, and maybe a bent/broken vavle of some sort. Have not had time to remove the valve cover.

Common issue?

Any other immediate thoughts?

Any links to head gasket or timing belt tech articles? (I just can't seem to find them).

Best service manual for a reasonable price? Downloadable?

If just a head gasket. Best one to use?, best timing belt kit? Best place to buy?

What else would you do while you are in there? (timing belt and all associated rollers, head gasket and ?)

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

0 psi is usually valve related as a bad head gasket will still give some compression albeit low. I had a burnt valve when this happened to me. Best head removal/head gasket write-up I have seen is the one by Tom M’Guinness:

http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951/headgasket.htm
Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to say if it is a bent valve or blown headgasket. If you are just looking at the oil under the fill cap it can get brown color from condensation but if you have drained the oil and checked it that is another story.

You could always buy a leak down tester and that way you could find out for sure. Either way that head needs to come off though

BTW - Welcome to rennlist!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:07 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

What were the other cylinder results, #3 in particular? Do you have the capability to do a leak down test? You definately have coolant in the oil and with the low compression it sounds like a head gasket. Although with "zero" compression it sounds like a damaged valve. A leak down test will tell you.

Manuals: http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/docs.html

Welcome to all the fun!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Cole
Drifting

Thanks for the links guys. Very helpful.

Other cyl were at about 120 each.

The previous owner did not take very good care of the car and there is some redneck engineering going on under the hood. No timing belt cover, wooden shims to hold some things in place, space up seats etc, a very ghetto fab manual boost controller, BPV is vented to outside air(obviously to get the BOV sound).

Hoping I can correct some of the issues and restore the car to some form of glory.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Wood shims?? An Arkansas car? Gotta ask; where are the wood shims used???
Old 04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Cole
Drifting

Picked the car up in Flagstaff, AZ.

So far I have found pieces of wood used to shim the A/C condenser thingy, one in the intercooler area, and under the Nissan 300zx seats(now sitting in my trash pile).

Paint is very oxidized, but I think with some color sanding I can make it at least drivable until I do real paint on it. Interior is fadded bad. I was planning on reupolstering with alcantara on the dash, doors and console.

LOTS of work to do on the car. (I knew this going into it, kind of a sickness for me).

Quick picture of it after I got it home.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Cole
Drifting

...here are a couple of pictures of the Audi S4 motor I built, just to give you an idea of my kind of sickness. Some day the 951 will see the same love, just want to get it up and running and drive it for a little while until I am ready to build. (have other projects in the way right now)

Old 04-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what you need.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 04-28-2009, 06:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Really nice pics of the Audi engine Cole.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Cole
Drifting

Thanks.

I will dive into it a little bit this weekend. Need to swap a timing belt on the A6 Avant first, and spend some time on my Speed Triple build. But VERY excited to have the 951 to play with now.

Quick Reply: Zero Compression on back Cyl.(86 951)