Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Altenator warning light on...need suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:24 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Altenator warning light on...need suggestions?

Hi Guy's,

Just recently had a crazy situation with my car. I could smell burning plastic and see a little smoke come from the passenger footwell and left side dash area of my car ( my car is right hand drive, passenger footwell is on the left ). Totally bewildered to what was causing it I started to pull the carpet back and get access to the foot plate and removed that also. Started up the car again and couldn't believe my eyes as I saw a wire coming from my alarm box start to glow red like an element in an electric fire! I immediately killed the ignition and was just glad my car didn't go up in smoke at that stage. Anyway, after searching for what could have been the cause it turned out to be what I could be the only explanation I could find.....I took the alarm box off and opened it up, turned out that one of the relay/switch had a small spring come loose and it wedged itself between the pos/neg input terminal causing a direct short and that made the wiring glow red. I followed all the wiring as far back as I could and renewed the burned ones from the loom, started her up and the problem was cured. Now my problem is that the altenator warning light is staying on and not charging...voltage reads around 10 volts on the gauge...I also have the abs light and handbrake light staying on too....any idea's guy's to what the problem is and how to rectify it?????????????????

Thanks in advance fellas..

John Daly.

Quick Reply: Altenator warning light on...need suggestions?