Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Broken valve spring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Broken valve spring?

After the last race, I started hearing a noise that sounds like loose nuts and bolts shaken inside a metal coffee can. It seems to be coming from towards the rear of the valve train area but it is difficult to isolate. It flactuates from almost none to really loud between 2-3K and over 5K RPM. Otherwise the engine runs fine. Strong oil pressure, clean oil, no smoke, no shaking. I'm thinking broken valve spring. Anyone care to comment?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You can bet it's not normal. Pull the cam tower before the damage and expense gets worse.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The easiest way to check for a broken valve spring to to put a vacuum gauge on it. You will get jumpy and fluctuating readings.

I do agree with Mike...You've got issues. I suspect it's more likely you have a collapsed lifter. I've had a few lose prime and it sounded awful but was able to isolate it with a stethoscope.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:15 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

awesome...I think I have the same thing. Which is great considering the car just spent 3 months with the head off.

edit: mine actually only makes noise at idle and cleans up as soon as you add some throttle, but also otherwise no ill effects. Mine is also highly unlikely to be a valve spring since I could verify that they were fine not too long ago.

Last edited by knfeparty; 04-22-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:02 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that I want to encourage you to take risks, but.......

I had a simple head gasket failure at the end of my first season with #11. Given I wanted to zero hour the engine anyway, I took it out for a winter rebuild.

Step 1 - drain the oil. Out comes a large chunk of metal, then some more. After a bit of hear scratching, it dawned on me that these were pieces of valve spring. DOOM!!

Long story short, there were no less than six broken valve springs. After very carefully inspecting and measuring everything during the rebuild, it turned out that there was no collateral damage. The broken bits had been flushed down the oil return galleys into the pan, and stayed there.

Clearly, this was a major piece of luck. Maybe you will be lucky too!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Thinking back, the noise that I describe has gotten progressively louder. I'm not sure if this points to anything else. This motor has had many hard miles and it has definately given me my money's worth. After three sets of rod bearings I think it is ready for a top end rebuilt. I'll pull the cam tower this weekend and I'll post what I find. Thank you to all.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

It turns out that my sound was, I do believe, a symptom of the top two bolts holding on the belt cover backing out.

Phew.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

The noise turned out to be severe resonance from the WG dump pipe. Somehow the noise was traveling up to the rear of the motor. Because it was coming on only at certain RPM ranges, it was challenging to get close to the source without help. Once I got the wife in the garage to work the throttle, it took all of 10 seconds to find the source. I tied down everything. I installed Lindsey’s vacuum rerouting kit and the old girl never sounded better. Notes to self: noise travels; don’t overlook the obvious.

Last edited by Antonio; 04-28-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: Broken valve spring?