Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

need help, want to paint my calipers with powder coating.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:06 AM
44turbo_sergio
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help, want to paint my calipers with powder coating.

Well, as the thread says, I want to paint my calipers porsche red and would like it to be done powder coated. My discs are already having their centers painted black mate, the question is: The have to take out the pistons and all of the seals from the calipers and I don't know if I would have to put them new again, the car is a 1990 turbo S, it has the big brakes from factory. I want to know if it would be alright to jst use the ones it has and if not, where can i find the kit fot the seals etc?? and how much would I be looking at?
thanks!!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 AM
turbobrat930
Racer

The only "correct" way to do it, is yes, you need to pull out the pistons, get every inch of the caliper oil, grease and dirt free. Tape off the piston bores, then glass bead the entire caliper. Clean in parts cleaning tank... wash, dry with compressed air. Tape off all areas of the caliper that does not need powdercoating ( piston bores, mounting areas, etc).. then powdercoat....

You can get the "square cut seals" and dust boots from Porsche or other parts places such as Pelican Parts, etc... then put caliper back together...

If you send me your email addy, I will send you pics of my brothers 930 calipers that I did a few months ago.... had 60 plus hours in them when I got done.. But boy they look HOT!!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
44turbo_sergio
Instructor

should I buy the seals or can I just put the ones I have back?? because then I'd need to order them right away
Old 04-22-2009, 12:37 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 44turbo_sergio
should I buy the seals or can I just put the ones I have back?? because then I'd need to order them right away
You need to replace them, and by need I mean if you don't want your brakes to leak you should replace them with new ones, You might even find out that the old ones are torn up durring the removal process...

Not sure where to order new ones based on your brakes, but Paragon, Pelican, 944online, Zims is where I would start looking... or the Porsche Dealer...

Quick Reply: need help, want to paint my calipers with powder coating.