Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Balance shaft belt tension

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009 | 11:39 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Default Balance shaft belt tension

Just curious if any of you who measure with a tool could describe how the proper tension translates subjectively.

It's been so long since I ran a balance shaft belt that I can't recall roughly how tight it is supposed to be ... should it be somewhat easy to fully twist it once around? I remember it being specified a bit looser than intuition would initially find acceptable. It's a (lightly) used belt. I've done five 944 timing+balance belt changes, but it's been so long I just want to double check my senses.

In fact, if someone just had some quantitative, non-P9201-unit figures (all I saw on Clark's) on how tight the timing and balance belts should be that'd be awesome.

'86 951

Last edited by Swagger93; 04-19-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2009 | 11:06 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Just did my belts this winter. As you said, the balance belt seems too loose when tensioned correctly. I first did it by feel and then checked it with an Optibelt (similar to Krikit) tool which I purchased from Markus Blaszak. I did not try twisting it 180 degrees as I didnt want to break any belt cords. I went by the deflection in the longest span of belt and then by how easily I could slide the belt back and forth on the upper bal. shaft drive gear. I had made a mental note of these settings during disassembly. The measurement with the optibelt tool should be 28 pounds. When I checked it was between the 28 and 30 pound marks. I didn't try to readjust and left it at that. Seems to be working fine. I don't know if this helps, but I have 1000kms (600 miles) on the car now and all is well. Will probably recheck tensions in another month or so.
Old 04-19-2009 | 11:11 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Thanks

Quick Reply: Balance shaft belt tension