Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone have a MAF lying around willing to lend for a test?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 03:22 AM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone have a MAF lying around willing to lend for a test?

I have been chasing a driveability problem for some time now and I feel that my MAF sensor may be at fault. The engine goes to full lean at 3,100 rpm, stumbles, then picks back up to redline. Always happens at that rpm and under every condition, part throttle to full throttle. Fuel pressure checked with a fuel gauge taped to windshield and all is fine there. I have a SFR MAF sensor and I am looking for anyone that has a known good SFR MAF that I could borrow to install to see if that solves my issue. I would be willing to pay shipping both directions.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:13 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one that is just laying around while I am in the process of rebuilding my engine. Would be happy to loan it to you. Send me a PM with your address I can get it shipped out for you.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:35 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless you use a MAF sensor with the same calibration as the one you have now, you will be introducing additional variables into the equation. It could cause more damage than good.

Even though 2 MAF sensors look identical, they could generate a totally different voltage (depending on the MAF calibration).
Old 04-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Bill,

I just sold my two spare Huntley MAFs, sorry...

If you have not already done this, I would tap into pin 7 at the DME (which is the AFM/MAF signal after any fuel computer you may have) and watch it on a multimeter or datalogger to see if the signal is the culprit at 3100 rpms. I have that pin logged all the time with my zeitronix as kind of a MAF-O-Meter. If the signal jumps around at that RPM, it could be the MAF or something else, in which case I'd start moving the tap point closer to the MAF until you isolate where the glitch is coming from. If the dignal is smooth at that rpm, then you can pretty much rule out the MAF.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a MAF lying around willing to lend for a test?