Is my cycling valve faulty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Nahpets
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my cycling valve faulty?

Hello!

I have suffered from boost loss and have in my quest to find the answer pressurised downstream beginning from IC inlet at 0,8 bar. The system is tight enough and the small small leak found at the TPS cant be the answer to my 0,5 bar loss.

So I have now isolated the cycling valve to be a potential culprit.

So here is my question, but first a description:
- The cycling valve leads by default (zero voltage) air from C to W.
My cycling valve leads 95 % of the air, when blowing into gate C, to W which is the control signal to the wastegate.
- If I connect 12Volts to the CV (a loud click from the valve actuating is heard) and blow into C, 65 % of the air is leaded to the R outlet (back to the turbo intake) and 35 % to W !!

Is this a correct behaviour of a correct operating CV ?

Added to this I have an air leak around the terminals where the harness is connected. See arrow. This leak increases when CV is activated.
Name:  Taktventil.JPG
Views: 3621
Size:  16.9 KB
Please advice.

Cheers
Stephan
Old 04-15-2009, 04:17 AM
Nahpets
Advanced

Truth is out there ...
Old 04-15-2009, 08:05 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

what will usually happen is the lines going to it will break or the plastic nipple ends will break. Pretty much all the vacuum lines near the engine will break if they are not replaced.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Nahpets
Advanced

Originally Posted by dillon410021
what will usually happen is the lines going to it will break or the plastic nipple ends will break. Pretty much all the vacuum lines near the engine will break if they are not replaced.
I have checked all hoses and replaced suspicously bad ones and tied all vacuum lines or clamped depending on size.

There are no cracks visible and if I blow through it (pressurizing blocking outlets) there is no escaping air.

Cheers
Stephan
Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Why not get an aftermarket boost controller, delete the ICV and be done with the issue from a stock part broken or not thing? Lindsey has them, as does SFR and even could go to Advance Auto or Napa and order up something... Even do the delete with a MBC if a full electronic boost control is out of price range...
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Nahpets
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Why not get an aftermarket boost controller, delete the ICV and be done with the issue from a stock part broken or not thing? Lindsey has them, as does SFR and even could go to Advance Auto or Napa and order up something... Even do the delete with a MBC if a full electronic boost control is out of price range...
I am an old bloke ... 31 years old and don´t want to disturb the stock look too much .

Cheers
Stephan
Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
BGA9512
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stephan, have you considered that the car is in "limp mode" whereby the DME limits the amount of boost created to protect the engine? 0.5 bar loss of pressure would put you at about that pressure. There are various threads about causes, including the Throttle Position Sensor.

I had a few similar leaks around my cycling valve before I replaced it, but could still make close to full boost. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked the blow-off valve?

Failed BOV gives the symptoms you describe.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Nahpets
Advanced

I have currently another chip with a leakage valve ( is it called so?) between the cycling valve and wastegate.
For some reasons I have difficulties to reach over 1 bar ... and this was before I changed the chip so I dont suspect the new chip.

The car is not in limp mode. My installed boost gauge tells me 1,5 bar absolut pressure when full throttle and no leakage in valve. So I am 0,25 bar behind stock pressure ...
What Ive done:
-I have changed BOV. The old one was by the way bad. This increased my boost somewhat, but still not all.
-I have pressurised my intake. No leaks of concern. Have changed the o-ring in the TPS. Was leaking somewhat, but not that much.
-Checked the cycling valve. Seem to function. Hoses to it is checked and its conections.
-Removed intake manifold to check hoses, venturi ****ty parts and reclamped with new ones.

Tomorrow I will reinstall my intake manifold and give it try again ...
I suspect wastegate more and more ...

Cheers
Stephan
Old 04-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you checked your cat? Is it plugged? Same symptoms.

Have you checked the turbine exhaust pipe? Is it collapsed? Same symptoms.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:42 AM
Nahpets
Advanced

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
Have you checked your cat? Is it plugged? Same symptoms.

Have you checked the turbine exhaust pipe? Is it collapsed? Same symptoms.
How do I check the cat the easiest way?

By collapsed you mean there is a crack or hole on the outlet of the exhaust from the turbo device?

Cheers
Stephan
Old 04-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nahpets
How do I check the cat the easiest way?

By collapsed you mean there is a crack or hole on the outlet of the exhaust from the turbo device?

Cheers
Stephan
Take the cat out and look through it....you will see if it's plugged. It may also have collapsed in which event, when you shake it, you will hear stuff banging around. If you have access to an air table, measure the pressure drop through the cat. Pressure drop should be in the range of 2.5 psig.

You will have to take the turbine downpipe off. It is 2 layers and the inner pipe is the one that collapses. You will see the collapsed portion.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:01 PM
hodmandod
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Nahpets
Before looking at exhaust pipes, which are a real pain, just clamp the rubber tube from the cycling valve to the wastegate, and drive the car very carefully, as the wastegate will remain shut. If it spools up normally, the turbo, pipes etc. are all fine, and the problem is the Cycling valve, OR the information it is receiving from its sensors, or the KLR brain is faulty. I have your problem, and you can fix it by putting on a Lindsey Boost Enhancer, which puts a 10 psi poppet valve from the intercooler intake pipe to the cycling valve. I do not know why this works, but it does. I guess it gets it over the 10 psi hump, as the valve does not open until a 10 psi buildup. However, I am concerned that I am stopping a sensor from doing its bit, such as the knock or TPI sensors. After all, the car is not boosting for a presumably significant reason.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Nahpets
Advanced

Thanks for your inputs!

Next weekend I will the car out for a spin and clamp the cycling valve to double check there is boost.
I have removed the intake manifold and changed clamps and double checked the venturi hoses.
I will get back !
Cheers
Stephan

Quick Reply: Is my cycling valve faulty?