Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

87 951 Suspension step back

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:18 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 87 951 Suspension step back

I have decided to take a step back on my suspension setup, I recently updated all my Koni pieces, with New Koni Pieces... Also went to Elephant Racing monoballs, and KLA upper mounts (I didn't need the adjustable camber)..

I also installed POLY sway bar bushings on what I believe to be M030 sways (haven't measured them)... I have ordered and will be switching back to the rubber sway mounts, the current setup is causing inside front tire lift on hard corners, even with the struts set soft (I can only reason this is due to lack of flex in the sway bar mounting to the C-Arms..

Anyone have thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas on the inside front tire lift?

tires and rims are stock (conti sports)

Are there any alignment considerations I could make to limit the inside tire lift?

It feels like there is 0 body roll on hard corners, but the tire lift has caught me off guard once or twice, enough that I want to get rid of it...
Old 04-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

out of curiousity do you have sway bar braces installed? im referring to aftermarket brace made to triangulate and reinforce the sway bar eye mounts
Old 04-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

wheel lift will usually indiacte that the front to rear balance is not quite right - the other end is too soft.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:33 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Airflite40
out of curiousity do you have sway bar braces installed? im referring to aftermarket brace made to triangulate and reinforce the sway bar eye mounts
No strut tower brace, I consider it a track maybe item along with the adjustable camber mounts....

Originally Posted by Chris White
wheel lift will usually indiacte that the front to rear balance is not quite right - the other end is too soft.
I have gone full soft on the struts, and the lift is still there, I am hoping the rubber will take care of it, but thought I would ask here for ideas, I suppose I could pull the rear wheels off, and set the shocks harder, I set them to 50% hard before installing and don't get any rear squat during WOT acceleration, good info I will try it along with the rubber sway bushings...
Old 04-12-2009, 11:40 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

More spring rate in the rear.........
Old 04-12-2009, 11:42 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
More spring rate in the rear.........
Should I go for a corner balance and see what's up? or just look for some upgraded T-Bars? I don't want the expense of full coil overs right now, but may consider it if it would make the handling improve...
Old 04-12-2009, 01:08 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Spring rate requirement is set by the level of grip. More grip, more spring rate.
If you are getting a lot of grip (many things effect this, tire size/compound/stagger, surface, driving style, alignment, to name a few) you need a lot of spring. Without knowing any of those "other factors" I have no idea what to tell you.
But if the inside front is lifting, likely the front/rear spring rate balance needs to be adjusted. Sway bars only do so much, not near as much as the springs.

Quick Reply: 87 951 Suspension step back