Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Helmet Cam-Autocross vid

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:55 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helmet Cam-Autocross vid

Here is a video of the first autocross in my area this year. I am driving my dad's '94 miata in the video. I had the fastest pax time of the day...the only cars with a faster raw time were a modded Lotus Exige S and a 964 with a 3.9liter engine plus bilstein coilovers. I promise next time I will drive the 951. I used the Go Pro Hero camera attached to my helmet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrlFC-reMuc
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these cars pretty good autocrossers out of the box or do they need suspension work? Reason I ask I just bought a 2003 to tool around Seattle while I am working out here and it's very nimble for street driving. I may just keep it and drive it home when I leave. It is a blast to drive even though it's not a high hp machine.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:17 AM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

One of my best friends had a 92 with a very stiff tokico suspension. It was fun to AX but in order to get good times you had to keep it right on that fine line of in control/ spinning out. He only had it for one season of AX but it was definitely fun while it lasted. We almost had more fun driving that car sideways than we did driving it on a good line haha.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The '94 miata in the video is set up with stiffer springs, kyb agx struts, bigger and adjustable front and rear sway bars, a cold air kit, 16'' wheels, and a cat back. I tried to sell my dad on a set of Konis, but it was too late...the shock dyno on the kyb agx versus the koni sport showed the koni much more adjustable and better valving. I have koni's on the 951 and love them. I am currently trying to sell my dad on converting it to a ground control coilover, so we can corner balance it.
It is my dad's car and it is very fun to drive, not fast like the 951, but much lighter and nimble. A stock miata on race slicks is pretty good actually. In the class we run the miata, with mods, we have to run street tires. The miata now is much tighter, responsive, and it just has an intuitive feeling. Much easier than a 951 to drive. My stepmom has a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata and it is one of the only Miatas that is turbocharged. It came stock with a set of stiff springs and bilsteins. You can get a good miata for $3000 and make it a spec miata cheap. I still absolutely love my 951!
Old 04-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Sounds like if I do Koni's and sway bars it'll be ready to hit the track and have some fun.

Quick Reply: Helmet Cam-Autocross vid