Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Removing Pins from DME Plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:23 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Pins from DME Plug

I did a search and nothing that comes up explains an exact technique for removing the DME pins. I have filed down a 1.5mm allen wrench to remove the pins. I tried to remove the pins and it didn't seem like the wrench went down far enough, so I measured on one of the new pins, how much of the wrench should be past the end of the pin for it to engage the tab holding it in. I tried again and it did not go down far enough. I filed the wrench down some more, measured it, tried to get the pin out and again it didn't go down far enough. each time I tried putting the wrench straight in and prying up against the side of the pin and pushing it down in and it would not go far enough to engage the tab. I kept filing down the wrench, measuring, and trying it and it would not go all the way in. Now the allen wrench is filed down so much that it bends under pressure. Can someone give me some advise at what I'm doing wrong here. I have the back piece off of the DME revealing the wires and the retaining pieces on either side(purple in my case) removed.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:28 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Head to your local car parts type store and find a set of the tools shown on the top of this page.

http://eagleday.com/miscellaneous.html

Dont buy them there, I bought mine for $8 or 10. The one youll need to use is the green one at the bottom. The Bosch connectors on 944s need the two prong bits on the green tool. Thatll apply to the fuel pump connectors, the DME/KLR connectors, and similar connectors.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:28 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you remove the screw in the end of the plug and remove the top cap of the plug? If you haven't done that and removed the side plates that look like a comb with short tabs that the cap holds in then the pins won't come out. I have always used a paper clip the pop them out once the cap is off, but your allen wrench idea should work just fine although you have probably filed it too much now if its bending under pressure.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theedge
Head to your local car parts type store and find a set of the tools shown on the top of this page.

http://eagleday.com/miscellaneous.html

Dont buy them there, I bought mine for $8 or 10. The one youll need to use is the green one at the bottom. The Bosch connectors on 944s need the two prong bits on the green tool. Thatll apply to the fuel pump connectors, the DME/KLR connectors, and similar connectors.
I was hoping I wouldn't need those. I have no chance of finding that in blacksburg. We'll see though. I see how that two prong thing could do what my allen wrench is failing to do.

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
Did you remove the screw in the end of the plug and remove the top cap of the plug? If you haven't done that and removed the side plates that look like a comb with short tabs that the cap holds in then the pins won't come out. I have always used a paper clip the pop them out once the cap is off, but your allen wrench idea should work just fine although you have probably filed it too much now if its bending under pressure.
Yeah, I have all of this off. I started filing another wrench because I thought the bendy one was probably shot. I'm starting to run out of small allen wrenches.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:29 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well try making an similar tool, you do need the two prongs on it. I have used two fairly small jewelers screwdrivers before.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:38 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

How exactly are the two prongs supposed to work? I understand how the tab that sticks out on the base of the pin holds the pin in the plug and that I need to depress this tab.

Last edited by odb812; 03-29-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:01 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odb812
How exactly are the two prongs supposed to work? I understand how the tab that sticks out on the base of the pin holds the pin in the plug and that I need to depress this tab.
The pins for the wires have a tab on each side, that clicks it into the plastic connector shell. So you need the two pronged tool to push both tabs down and pull it out of the shell.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:48 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to make sure you did remove the side plates that catch one side of the pin? I have never used a two pronged tool to remove the pins, just a thick piece of wire (ie. paper clip) down one side and I just pull it out through the bottom with no problems at all.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
Just to make sure you did remove the side plates that catch one side of the pin? I have never used a two pronged tool to remove the pins, just a thick piece of wire (ie. paper clip) down one side and I just pull it out through the bottom with no problems at all.
I tried a paper clip on my extra harness just now and it worked perfectly. Tomorrow I'll see if the plug on the car is as cooperative. It seems to me that the allen wrenches I tried were too wide.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't get my pins out of the plug with the paperclip or jewellers screwdriver method. Any other tips on this. PS it is an S2 which has a 55 pin (3 row) plug.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

It was a hot mess for me trying to get those pins out. I ended up using a thicker than needed pick and pushing it through [depressing the top, then bottom flap, not just jamming the pin out]. Try to see how the new pins will sit in the housing. There are tabs on top and bottom that need to be 'depressed'. Using three hands (just you), basically pulling the cable out to the rear (super gently), then jam your tool in to push down say the top pin/flap, the cable will move a hair to the rear, then try from underneath. I believe that's how I got it. Also, the phooey about after getting the first one, the rest are easy, didn't work for me, either. =(

Good luck. Also, the sockets are fairly durable. I thought I had malformed and warped mine from all the trauma, but the new pins clicked right in, even with the scrapes, etc.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:27 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I didn't read the thread, but the easiest thing you could possibly use to remove the pins is cheap and easy to make.

Take one of those female hair clips (brown, straght on one side, squiggily on the other. a bobby pin?) straighten it out, cut the ball of one of the ends an stick in the DME plug to release the clip. Gently tug on the wire while you do this and they will come out effortlessly and undamaged each time.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:22 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Tried a paperclip folded over already as a 2 pin prong but couldn't budge it. I'll try the hairpin.

Might be easier to just splice into the wire (this is for my LM-2 install)
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I have the correct Bosch tool for removing the plugs, can take a picture of it later this evening, and might be inclined to loan it out if needed!

I know several folks bought them durring my group buy last year, so there are several kicking around!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’d like to see the correct Bosch tool. Do you have a source or are they NLA? The tool I made works very well regardless, you can see it here.

Quick Reply: Removing Pins from DME Plug