Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Racecar won't shut off with ignition or battery cutoff switches

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:03 AM
HansB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you connected it like this:

When you activate the switch the circuit "1" basically connects to whole power system to earth.

Killing the fuel pump the engine stumbles for a few seconds, but has the advantage that all fuel in the engine is burned, so nothing can leak afterwards.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:15 AM
dmalo810
Instructor

I had this issue on a corvette c-5 race car. We had the battery cut off but the alt. was still sending juice to the components. Sounds like that is your case too.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D
Not to go OT, but you have Chris's old shell? I'll have some of my friendly TEC GT engineer tuner friends read this post and let them give you their 2cents. I have the TEC GT in my car running with the stock ignition. They will be here tomorrow helping me install my recovered dash.

George
Yep - this is Chris' old shell. Wish I had some of the other goodies he had on the car and not just the shell!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to close the loop on this - Geoffrey on the Racing forum told me I needed a light installed on the exciter wire - I did that and everything works perfectly. I still don't understand exactly how that makes a difference, but I happy to be able to move onto the other 100 items I need to troubleshoot.

The link to his explanation:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-switches.html
Old 03-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by HansB
I personally prefer to kill the fuel with a manual switch, that is the most certain and safest way to kill the engine.
Not really, The tec3 or TecGT will kill the fuel pump automatically if the engien stops - this is an important safety feature incase of a major crash. Nothing worse that a fuel pump that keeps running fter a crash that has incapcitated the driver...

I have a fix for the power issue - the early power harnesses could allow a power 'feedback' to keep the engien running, there is an easy rewire - I just have to check the diagram and get it to Skip
Old 03-31-2009, 12:17 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar issue on my 944 spec car. It turned out to be a wire back feeding to the main power switches. Once I figured out which wire it all went away. I do feel for you in this as there is not easy way out. Study the wires closely and take out the volt meter and just start checking stuff.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Just seems wierd that with the ign switch off and this wire connected the engine stays running, but as soon as I disconnect it the engine shuts-off. power should be flow to the alternator via this wire not from it correct? So if I pull the wire with the switches on and engine running it should not read 12vdc correct?
Since you didn't have a current limiting light bulb (or resistor) in the circuit, the alternator was feeding 12VDC back out of the exciter output into the other side of the ignition switch. Even though the ignition switch was switched off (disconnected from the battery), it still was getting power from the alternator exciter lead which keep the car running. As soon as you limited the current, it didn't have enough power feeding back into the ignition switch to keep the car running. That meant you were running quite a few amps down that small exciter lead after the ignition was switched off. I doubt it would have lasted long. At least that is my best explanation.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 03-31-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Racecar won't shut off with ignition or battery cutoff switches