Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How do I insure a highly modified 951

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Through Kemper I got to set the value at $25k. I guess I could have gone with classic because in two and a half years I've hardly gone 5,000 miles.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

One problem with the "I won't claim any damage at the track" is that you are just thinking about collison, the insurance companies are just as concerned about liablity if you hurt/kill another driver. The total liabilty could be really huge.

I always consider any damage at the track to be on my nickle, but the liability issue is a differnt deal...
Old 03-26-2009, 09:29 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jlturpin
I am pretty sure that is what Sam has. We have looked in to it as well. They had no problem with the agreed value, but did want to impose a annual mileage limit. Since the car is not being driven right now, I have dropped the insurance for now. I will go with Grundy as the agreed value is important to me and their rates were great. I also have other vehicles to drive for DD, so I can live with limited mileage. I will try to negotiate 4-5K miles a year for the first year and see where I end up for the next policy.
Sure you aren't thinking Hagerty or something? Grundy specifically states on their website they have no mileage limits.

I'll have to look up what insurance I was going to go with when I get home as I forget the name off the top of my head. They are one of the few companies I could find that'll provide classic car insurance to someone under the age of 25...since I'm 22.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:29 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
One problem with the "I won't claim any damage at the track" is that you are just thinking about collison, the insurance companies are just as concerned about liablity if you hurt/kill another driver. The total liabilty could be really huge.

I always consider any damage at the track to be on my nickle, but the liability issue is a differnt deal...
so Chris, do you have liability insurance for the track?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody REALLY.. gets hurt anyway right? chances are low i think if you figure how many times you go to a track a year.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Sure you aren't thinking Hagerty or something? Grundy specifically states on their website they have no mileage limits.

I'll have to look up what insurance I was going to go with when I get home as I forget the name off the top of my head. They are one of the few companies I could find that'll provide classic car insurance to someone under the age of 25...since I'm 22.
Could have been, My wife called and took care of it while we were changing out all of our. We recently switched from farmer's to Allstate after our home owner's and Lanlord policy went up over 30% in one year. Her business insurance also went up over 20%. This is with no claims, etc. Said all home with values over "X" had a rate increase across the board and used the economy as a reason for this increase. Sounds like more "change" in my mind. Home owner's policy went from $1800 to $2700 in 1 policy year.

After speaking with the Agent, and paying for full coverage on the 2 951's that were just sitting, we decided to not insure them at this time. I will put a policy on the 86 with a agreed value policy and probaly just put liability on the other 951 if I decide to keep it for a DD.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
Nobody REALLY.. gets hurt anyway right? chances are low i think if you figure how many times you go to a track a year.
A couple of years ago somebody got 'dead' at a Watkins Glen DE.
If you want a sobering thought beyond that - consider that the guy ahead/behind you at the track could be a lawyer driving (badly) a $125k Porsche. If he screws up and collects you in the process the possiblity of a lawsuit is a little higher than I would like....

Obviously I have come t terms with the risk of damage and/or injury at the track and I don't have an issue with that - but I cannot control the issue of some putz suing me. Thats the main thing I consider when I think of insurance while at the track.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:37 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

A couple of years ago somebody got 'dead' at a Watkins Glen DE.
If you want a sobering thought beyond that - consider that the guy ahead/behind you at the track could be a lawyer driving (badly) a $125k Porsche. If he screws up and collects you in the process the possiblity of a lawsuit is a little higher than I would like....

Obviously I have come t terms with the risk of damage and/or injury at the track and I don't have an issue with that - but I cannot control the issue of some putz suing me. Thats the main thing I consider when I think of insurance while at the track.
Any idea which insurance companies cover you at the track? At least for liability issues? I hadn't considered that before and I'm planning on attending a few DE's per year.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry I didn't see this sooner guys. I've done this already.

Farmers will insure it. My insurance agency (Farmers) insures my car for a $60,000 value. They had me get an actual value appraisal on the car. That's where they and I got to $60,000. I can drive as much as I want, track or not. No questions asked if something happens and totals my car. They just cut the check. It's about $200 bucks a month though. I don't know about you, but after everything I've put into my car, it's worth the piece of mind after all the horror stories I read about people getting their cars totaled and the insurance value of the car was the price of the Maf kit and exhaust.

Last edited by DFASTEST951; 03-27-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Sorry I didn't see this sooner guys. I've done this already.

Farmers will insure it. My insurance agency (Farmers) insures my car for a $60,000 value. They had me get an actual value appraisal on the car. That's where they and I got to $60,000. I can drive as much as I want, track or not. No questions asked if something happens and totals my car. They just cut the check. It's about $200 bucks a month though. I don't know about you, but after everything I've put into my car, it's worth the piece of mind after all the horror stories I read about people getting their cars totaled and the insurance value of the car was the price of the Maf kit and exhaust.
does the $200/month come in as an extra to basic insurance or is everything, collision/comp/theft/towing/rental car/etc. covered for the $200.

95sl320 dd
Old 03-27-2009, 08:05 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's everything. You now that I think about it, it's like $250 a month.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:40 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
That's everything. You now that I think about it, it's like $250 a month.
thanks

95sl320 dd
Old 03-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 279 Posts

Wow - 60k is an extreme value, though I admire that. I'm currently looking at my insurance policy as I have 5 valuable cars & I've been over-paying due to a lack of time & VERY low miles etc. for over a year now. I'm currently with Nationwide & they have an affiliation with Haggerty, though I'm not certain that they are the best option.

Grundy sounds like a decent company & the owner of the shop that did all of the custom work to my Mercedes told me that AAA were definitely the best to deal with for collision purposes.

Interesting topic given the current "save yer pennies" situation...
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 PM
tone3721
Drifting

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

My latest issue of panorama, has an ad for HPDE insurance program. www.hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com The ad says they insure for the track only.

Hey Dfastest: that a great price. Progressive wants like 1000 bucks a month for a stated value of 30k. 5-600 if I put my deductibles up to like 2k. I cant see the reasoning in paying that kind of money, in 2 years or so I would have just about paid them the value of the car already in insurance. Il definitely try farmers.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:12 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

....1000 bucks a month for a stated value of 30k. 5-600 if I put my deductibles up to like 2k.
That's ridiculous! What's the justification for such idiocy?

Quick Reply: How do I insure a highly modified 951