Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need PS fluid recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need PS fluid recommendation

I started my car up after 3 months of winter storage and noticed a sound when I turned the wheel. My power steering fluid is leaking a bit and when I checked the resivoir it was low. The sound pretty much went away after a few miles of driving but this morning it started again (this time not nearly as loud and again it went away shortly after driving.

What brad/type of PS fluid is OK to use. Is there something I can get at Pep Boys or Advance, or, do I need to go to the dealer? I went to Pep Boys and they had "American" car fluid and Japanese /Euro but their stuff also had stop-leak in it, which I don't know if I want to use, as it may do more harm than good. Any advice?

thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 11:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Todd951968
I started my car up after 3 months of winter storage and noticed a sound when I turned the wheel. My power steering fluid is leaking a bit and when I checked the resivoir it was low. The sound pretty much went away after a few miles of driving but this morning it started again (this time not nearly as loud and again it went away shortly after driving.

What brad/type of PS fluid is OK to use. Is there something I can get at Pep Boys or Advance, or, do I need to go to the dealer? I went to Pep Boys and they had "American" car fluid and Japanese /Euro but their stuff also had stop-leak in it, which I don't know if I want to use, as it may do more harm than good. Any advice?

thanks
Yes they sell synthetic ATF, this is ALL that should be used in our power steering units....
Old 03-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

So, sythetic ATF at Pepboys is good?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:40 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Dextron ATF (or whatever it's called) is the stuff o' choice. DO NOT USE PS FLUID. Pepboy's stuff will work fine.

Quick Reply: Need PS fluid recommendation