Motons installed - some notes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:06 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,174 Likes on 577 Posts
Default Motons installed - some notes

Just finished the installation of Moton Clubsports and a full Racer's Edge bushing kit on my 86 944 turbo. This is now a track-only car and previously was shod with a nice set of non-adjustable Ledas.

Using the Elephant Racing writeup on the rear torsion bar removal, I was able to mount all the rear stuff without completely dropping the carrier nor removal of the trailing arms. Wanted to add some tips/notes:

1.using a propane torch the spring plate bushings came out pretty easy, but it takes alot of work to clean all of the rubber crud off. Even a brass wire wheel would not get it all. I had to go to a steel wire wheel brush and even a steel file.

2. when reinstalling the spring plates I tried to attach the trailing arms and wedge the torsion tube carrier bushings into place at the same time. This made it impossible to line up the 4 bolts on the spring plate to the torque tube - I had to loosen up every thing else first to make it much easier.

3. it is difficult to get the torsion tube assembly into place with the solid upper mounts. I found it easier to keep the upper mount loose otherwise the assembly would not key into place - then tighten the mount after everything was lifted into place.

4. the front control arms on early cars will have clearance issues between the Moton strut housing - specifically the swivel for the line to the remote reservoir - and the drop links for the sway bars. I had to thread my drop link more, then cut about 1/2" off the top and use only the rubber bushing under the control arm and not on the top.

I plan to add pics soon to make the above make some sense.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you were wrestling with that thing all weekend. But it's done now. Time for the fun part.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Sounds like you were wrestling with that thing all weekend. But it's done now. Time for the fun part.
yeah, and being attacked by fire ants while laying under the car torquing down the torsion carrier is no fun. Wish I had a 2 post...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:51 AM
DanR
Drifting

I would love a set of Mortons and if I sign up for another contract in the US think I may get some. Get the pics up!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:46 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where did you put the reservoirs?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad that the Elephant Racing write up actually work. I am about to tackle the rear end on my 944 NA. I will be removing the t-bars and upgrading the bushings as well.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Just finished the installation of Moton Clubsports and a full Racer's Edge bushing kit on my 86 944 turbo. This is now a track-only car and previously was shod with a nice set of non-adjustable Ledas.

Hey....are the Ledas for sale and what rates were they valved for....?

I'm coming to the 'Two Step', leaving Thursday.

T
Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Stop by and say hi.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

disaster,

I put the front reservoirs on the front of the wheel wells just behind the headlights (mine are gone). Makes for easy access to the front canisters. The rears I cut holes in the rear seats tubs and mounted the canisters inside. As a note, I accidentally managed to cut the rear holes only partially and thus created a "lid" that I could open to push the canisters thru and then close the lids. I then just used aluminum HVAC tape to cover/seal the holes.

T

the Ledas were sold and setup by Karl at Racers Edge. The front is valved to 400# spring rate and the rear valved to an effective 400# spring rate (torsion bar + helper spring). They are oil bathed and non-adjustable in compression and rebound.

Bruce,

I will bring it by soon. It is getting an alignment now.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Stop by and say hi.

Will do....we have traded a few emails about diffusers before.

Is your car up and running...?

Listen, being y'all two are local and I haven't got a response yet at the Race/DE forum, do either one of you know if it's too late to order a tire and have it delivered to the track by the local supplier for the event...?

I'm, desperate and need an answer.

We are good for dry but last I had checked the thread on the Two Step, it looked like rain was overestimated, now it looks more definite....?

We are bringing two 944NAs and for wets I have a relatively new set of 888s and for the second car, a set of sticker ra1s but 1 was damaged on the sidewall by an unrolled rear fender.

Do either of you have the contact # for the supplier for the event...?

T
Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 PM
951and944S
Race Car

T

the Ledas were sold and setup by Karl at Racers Edge. The front is valved to 400# spring rate and the rear valved to an effective 400# spring rate (torsion bar + helper spring). They are oil bathed and non-adjustable in compression and rebound.
Yeah....I almost jumped on a set of these setup by Karl for specific rates but I went with something else at the time because I got a killer deal on some 3012 rears.

I'm asking you if the non-adjustable Ledas that you took off are for sale....

As stated, I'm coming to the event and can pick them up.

T
Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Yeah....I almost jumped on a set of these setup by Karl for specific rates but I went with something else at the time because I got a killer deal on some 3012 rears.

I'm asking you if the non-adjustable Ledas that you took off are for sale....

As stated, I'm coming to the event and can pick them up.

T
Yes, these are the ones that were on my car. I can bring them to the track for sure!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:53 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Yes, these are the ones that were on my car. I can bring them to the track for sure!

Email me at 944t at plaqcom dot net with a price if you get a chance.

And again, if either of you have the tire supplier phone #, please email or pm me.

I'm going to be in a bind without rain tires for both cars.

T

Quick Reply: Motons installed - some notes