Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Downpipe stud removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:19 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Downpipe stud removal

So I have my downpipe removed from the car and am replacing the studs. OBviously they are corroded and I have been soaking them with PB blaster for a week. What is the best way to get them out. Im going to heat the heck out of them when I do break them loose but want to make sure Im getting them out the easiest way. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
Old 03-06-2009, 06:33 PM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can either use the special stud removal tool. It is similiar to a socket. Or put 2 nuts on there, lock them together and the try to loosen it. I used the socket stud removal tool on mine.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Heat them up with the good old heat wrench first. Use the least destructive means first.. double nut works most of the time. If they still wont give, i used vice grips successfully when i replaced mine.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:33 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got them out. I tried the 2 nut method and both nuts kept spinning so I put on a 3rd and 2 of the studs came right out. I was concerned the thread for them was reversed. On the 3rd one the stud had broken off but left a decent amount still sticking out. I just clamped the bolt in a vice real good and used the down pipe to unscrew it. After struggling a little, it finally broke loose. I think the week of PB Blaster really helped. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Downpipe stud removal