Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What do you think of a Motronic Diagnostic tool?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Looks like a nice product and it would be very handy for troubleshooting. I would agree that without a time stamp or a time-tick stamp, data collection would be hard to sync up with other recorders like traqmate. Looks like a couple of variable would be needed by the PC interface to get proper HP and torque readings such as weight, gear ratios and tire size. Keep the new stuff coming...
The MMonitor saved the day many times. You cannot imagine how many cars show up on the dyno with all sort of issues. I usually run a quick scan before the tuning process starts. Problem area identified and fixed in no time.

I'll look into the time stamp.. I want to keep this as simple as possible, some features might need to stay out (or maybe not).
Old 03-06-2009, 03:12 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Already done? http://www.vitesseracing.com/html/momonitor.html
Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
The MMonitor full blown version has been done and in use for years now. However it has been on back-order due to manufacturing cost.

The new product will be a subset of the full blown setup, will not require a laptop in the car to data log and the price will be much less..
Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John I bet that there are some shops that would love to have this.

Awesome idea.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:33 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kool
John I bet that there are some shops that would love to have this.

Awesome idea.
That was the goal for the original MMonitor, however most shops were not willing to invest in a technology for "old" cars. I could never understand it, they get the job done in 5 minutes vs. 3-4 hours. They can bill whatever they think it's fair. The shop wins, the customer wins...

The new tool I'm evaluating, will be for the end user. However the data can still be shared with anyone else as long as they have the software.

Another area of interest will be racers. Lots of information can be useful to the serious racer..
Old 03-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
That was the goal for the original MMonitor, however most shops were not willing to invest in a technology for "old" cars. I could never understand it, they get the job done in 5 minutes vs. 3-4 hours. They can bill whatever they think it's fair. The shop wins, the customer wins...

The new tool I'm evaluating, will be for the end user. However the data can still be shared with anyone else as long as they have the software.

Another area of interest will be racers. Lots of information can be useful to the serious racer..
Not even Porsche shops? That is weird.

I know if I was a tech something like that would be very useful.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not even Porsche shops? That is weird.

I know if I was a tech something like that would be very useful.
Most techs love it, I get many calls from local shops to bring my laptop when they hit a snag. Most "office" guys, don't understand it and think it's a "game".. I guess it does look like a game to a degree! The "office" guy is the one making the $ decision...
Old 03-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I would love to see an Excel output file integrated with the SMT6 and Zeitronix, so that you would know with confidence which SMT6 cell is active for any given data set. Would also like to have (say) four spare 5vdc inputs for logging. As icing on the cake, how about sample rates fast enough to watch the ref sensors...
Old 03-06-2009, 02:25 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I would love to see an Excel output file integrated with the SMT6 and Zeitronix, so that you would know with confidence which SMT6 cell is active for any given data set. Would also like to have (say) four spare 5vdc inputs for logging. As icing on the cake, how about sample rates fast enough to watch the ref sensors...

You don't ask for much do you? LOL

I might just have to write the script for you to integrate the Zeitronix with the SMT. I'm just berried with projects now (how about a 930 engine in a 914? Don't answer I know I'm a HP junky!)

The SMT as it is can be used to generate a XL file. So for now, just log the Zeitronix in teh PiggyBack and review it..

As far as a multi-channel data logger, it's available now. However logging a 0-5V signal without any further interpretation to make the data readable is kind of useless.

As I mentioned it already, many things coming down the pipe....
Old 03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
As icing on the cake, how about sample rates fast enough to watch the ref sensors...
Thats called an oscilloscope And you can get USB ones for excellent prices.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

You don't ask for much do you? LOL

I might just have to write the script for you to integrate the Zeitronix with the SMT. I'm just berried with projects now (how about a 930 engine in a 914? Don't answer I know I'm a HP junky!)

The SMT as it is can be used to generate a XL file. So for now, just log the Zeitronix in teh PiggyBack and review it..

As far as a multi-channel data logger, it's available now. However logging a 0-5V signal without any further interpretation to make the data readable is kind of useless.

As I mentioned it already, many things coming down the pipe....
I want to ride in that car.

I can't remember who built it but there is a tube frame 700 hp 914 race car in NC that set the lap record at the PCA race at CMP a couple of years back. What a fun car that would be.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:46 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I want to ride in that car.

I can't remember who built it but there is a tube frame 700 hp 914 race car in NC that set the lap record at the PCA race at CMP a couple of years back. What a fun car that would be.

I know of the car and have seen it. The owner is from the Greensboro Winston-Salem area. The car is tricked to the hilt, engine, chassis, suspensions.. If I recall correctly the owner's name is McNeal?

My 914 is just a toy, not a race car. I supercharged the 2.0L engine using a Mercedes SLK supercharger (as a fun project), it made 160hp (not bad for a engine that was originally rated at 80-85hp). Now, I'm pulling the Supercharger off, and installing a turbo.. I'm having a debate with a good friend; I want to convince him that turbos when selected properly can be very efficient and will spool as quickly as you want.
The best part of this, I'm using a 944NA engine modified harness and DME, MAF and wasted spark. V-FLEX of course! Actually this is the first application to use the V-FLEX

The 930 engine will not make it till it's rebuilt, massaged and loved on (ie. LOTS of power). Of course the proper safety equipment will go in first...
Old 03-06-2009, 02:52 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Of course the proper safety equipment will go in first...
Old 03-06-2009, 03:45 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

The 914 is for your S/O, right?

Serioulsy, any idea how soon you'd be ready to go to market on teh MOMonitor? I am in the process of installing a carputer in my 951, using one of those micro laptops running XP with a touchscreen in the dash. I am planning on using it to monitor my Vitesse piggyback, Zeitronix and this would be an awesome add to it.

Regards,
Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Most techs love it, I get many calls from local shops to bring my laptop when they hit a snag. Most "office" guys, don't understand it and think it's a "game".. I guess it does look like a game to a degree! The "office" guy is the one making the $ decision...
That is amazingly naive.

Quick Reply: What do you think of a Motronic Diagnostic tool?